Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts izzynut's Avatar

Light copies MP5002

Any suggestions on a MP5002 with light copies.

Copies only are light, prints and internal prints are good.
    This machine was PM just recently with new PCU, Dev restart and fixing rebuild, feeder and optics cleaned.

Tried a scan to email comes out decent so don't think its optical. Tried boosting laser setting to the max and it helps but still light.

Firmware a bit old and will try that next visit.

Attached is a sample of an internal test print and a sky shot, you will notice the difference in CQ from the internal and sky shot. Also an internal print of the meter read and then a copy of that print.

You may
    notice some white lines, that's just my home scanner and not on the actual prints.
    EPSON003.JPGEPSON004.JPGEPSON001.JPGEPSON002.JPG

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Light copies MP5002

...did you check your scanner mirrors for dust?!

What happens if you increase the density manually on the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    ...did you check your scanner mirrors for dust?!

Yes sorry forgot to mention that optics where cleaned.

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    What happens if you increase the density manually on the panel.
    I does help but still quite a bit lighter than a print. Also tried boosting the Dev bias and now at its max.

Thinking of this my mind gets stuck on laser intensity. If the scans are good and the prints are good... Are you scanning in B&W or as gray scale? Do a gray scale scan 400X400 and see if it is light.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I don't work on this model, so take this for what it is worth.
    But if you can find a "Manual Gamma" adjustment in SP4, try adjusting the values there up ever so slightly. The standard value I've seen in the manual gamma adjustment is 15, the most I've ever had to add to that value is two.
    I'm going to assume that you took the pictures you shared before you PM'd the machine, the white line on triangle at the top of the test print picture wouldn't be there if that wasn't the case.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Light copies MP5002

When the machine is turned, the white reference on the bottom of the scale at the left end of the exposure glass is scanned. Dirty or filmed mirrors will cause this white reference to actually appear light to medium gray. The machine will set this as white and lighten the entire gray scale accordian.

Every time I have a machine that prints fine but copies are light, it is dust on the mirrors. Turn the machine off and clean all three mirrors. Do not use glass cleaner or anything that can leave a film as that film will cause light copies. To check the mirrors, use a small flashlight that has a beam that can be adjusted to small diameter. Shine it at an angle on the mirror and if you can see a hazy spot where the light strikes the surface, the mirror is not clean. If you have filmed the mirrors using the wrong cleaning method, you may have to replace the mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I don't work on this model, so take this for what it is worth.
    But if you can find a "Manual Gamma" adjustment in SP4, try adjusting the values there up ever so slightly. The standard value I've seen in the manual gamma adjustment is 15, the most I've ever had to add to that value is two.
    I'm going to assume that you took the pictures you shared before you PM'd the machine, the white line on triangle at the top of the test print picture wouldn't be there if that wasn't the case.
    Tried adjusting Gamma and didn't help as for the lines I mentioned it at the bottom of my first post that its just caused by my home scanner and not a copier issue.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    When the machine is turned, the white reference on the bottom of the scale at the left end of the exposure glass is scanned. Dirty or filmed mirrors will cause this white reference to actually appear light to medium gray. The machine will set this as white and lighten the entire gray scale accordian.

Every time I have a machine that prints fine but copies are light, it is dust on the mirrors. Turn the machine off and clean all three mirrors. Do not use glass cleaner or anything that can leave a film as that film will cause light copies. To check the mirrors, use a small flashlight that has a beam that can be adjusted to small diameter. Shine it at an angle on the mirror and if you can see a hazy spot where the light strikes the surface, the mirror is not clean. If you have filmed the mirrors using the wrong cleaning method, you may have to replace the mirrors.
    Thanks will look at the mirrors again but I did clean them. Will check for any film on the mirror.