Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    Question about PMs

Here's a tip: You can keep your jiffy lube bill low by only changing the oil in your car when the engine seizes.

I love it!!!

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verderacer View Post
    From what I can determine the minor PM stuff like OS roller and OS cleaning roller, are every 150k. Major PM's are done at every 300k.

Ollie, I would try to get yourself a Ricoh tech ID and then do the online courses, or have your boss send you to a 1 week course at one of the Ricoh training centers. Once you have that done then you will be able to use Ricoh's websites to download any of the Product Support Guides that give all the individual part#'s and PM cycles.
    I've taken the online course, well........not for the SP5 (Gestetner 3260) but for the Martini (I'm not overly familiar with Savin's product numbering, but I'm assuming it's a 1060 in all but name) and done a four-day training course that included the 551 and 700.

I've got access to all the Ricoh manuals, RTBs and FOBs too.

It's just the policy of the company I work for, these things are decided by people further up in the food chain and toner monkeys like me just have to abide by it.

I agree with everything everyone has mentioned, sometimes you can be literally ALL DAY on a machine that's somehow managed to go 800k without an emergency call and only been attended once the customer has reported a fault that may or may not be related to a PM part.

But the rule is, if it's over life when you attend then you must replace it.

...plus there's always the problem of the lazy techs who fix the fault the customer reported and don't bother replacing any PM parts. This is my pet hate because then I have to justify to the boss an artificially inflated parts spend without resorting to "squealing" on a colleague.

We do a full scheduled PM on all of the high volume Bellini/Katana (Aficio 850/1050, 2090/2105 and MP1100/1350) range and the high volume colour (Aficio 3260c/5560)

Senior Tech 100+ Posts verderacer's Avatar
    Ollie,

I agree and for the 6 months or so that I have worked at the dealer I am at have many times suspended PM's entirely. Until recently being purchased by Ricoh I honestly wonder how some of the machines kept running. When all of Ricoh's contracts were consolidated under to us from other dealers some of the machines were in horrible shape from lack of PM's. I was just amazed they kept running in many cases.

I do not want to hijack the thread but I am curious to know how long it take some of the more experienced techs here to do a PM on the mid range 35 and 45ppm machines, especially a dirty one.
    Ricoh & Microsoft may pay the bills but Un*x saves my ass every day.
    MCSE/CCNE/ENS and other crap...

Question about PMs

an hour and a half normally.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    PM for a 35/45 can take about an hour and a half to a little longer if the fingers and springs in the fuser need to be replaced as well.
    For the most part I follow the PM advice of my old Ricoh teammates: the bigger the box the more you want to follow the PM cycle. Usually anything under 55 ppm I just do EM calls. The smaller machines usually have more users so there's a greater chance of failure before the PM yield. If an EM call comes in close to a PM cycle I will do the whole PM, but for the most part smaller machines give you a little more leeway.

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    The dirty ones always take longer, but that's the reason why. Usually keeping up on the PM's on these (150k or close to) keeps them running reasonably clean. I've got techs who only want to replace whats failed at that time (i.e. drum and blade, charge roller or whatever) and leave the rest for later. I agree it takes over an hour to do a thorough job, but it will save on call backs in the long run.

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts
    It usually takes me an hour and a half to do something like a 1035/1045, to fix a straightforward fault and to give a thorough service.

...That is if the machine is in decent condition and hasn't been dumping toner

We definitely don't specifically PM call these machines, most of them are in large offices where some assclown is going to break something well before 150k, plus these things suffer far more regularly from copy quality problems than the next range up (MP7500) so you're usually back well within PM cycles.

One of the most irritating things about these machines is the fact that some white coated boffin thought it'd be a good idea to have the highly dust sensitive laser assembly directly below the toner hopper assembly.

I find on a machine that's had a history of dumping toner, or a halfwit in the office who inserts the bottle after removing the inner bung, it's only a matter of time before SC322/326 starts rearing it's ugly, time consuming and expensive head.

I make no secret of the fact that I hate these machines, they aren't the worst machine ever invented, but this is the model range that has caused me the most problems since I stared working on Ricohs....

....hehe, but watch me change my tune when I start working on 1224c's

Question about PMs

I believe we sing the same tune.
    All the 35/45s are crappy, you have to do the PMs on time but still you have the same problems over and over, generation to generation. including the most present.
    The 1224 was, thank God, short lived, I just hope I out-live them.
    Me and My Redheaded friend Johnny Have had many a talk on this subject. He understands me so well.

A+; Network +; PDI+

Vacuum Cleaning Expert 1,000+ Posts iMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomama46 View Post
    I believe we sing the same tune.
    All the 35/45s are crappy, you have to do the PMs on time but still you have the same problems over and over, generation to generation. including the most present.
    The 1224 was, thank God, short lived, I just hope I out-live them.
    Me and My Redheaded friend Johnny Have had many a talk on this subject. He understands me so well.
    Half full or half empty doesnīt matter as long as itīs whisky... LOL
    We can all Win, but at the end we all loose. Save the greyhound

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie1981 View Post
    It usually takes me an hour and a half to do something like a 1035/1045, to fix a straightforward fault and to give a thorough service.

...That is if the machine is in decent condition and hasn't been dumping toner

We definitely don't specifically PM call these machines, most of them are in large offices where some assclown is going to break something well before 150k, plus these things suffer far more regularly from copy quality problems than the next range up (MP7500) so you're usually back well within PM cycles.

One of the most irritating things about these machines is the fact that some white coated boffin thought it'd be a good idea to have the highly dust sensitive laser assembly directly below the toner hopper assembly.

I find on a machine that's had a history of dumping toner, or a halfwit in the office who inserts the bottle after removing the inner bung, it's only a matter of time before SC322/326 starts rearing it's ugly, time consuming and expensive head.

I make no secret of the fact that I hate these machines, they aren't the worst machine ever invented, but this is the model range that has caused me the most problems since I stared working on Ricohs....

....hehe, but watch me change my tune when I start working on 1224c's
    1035's gotta say most of these run well for us, but we always were encouraged to pm on the dot.
    That was then changed in the lead up to joining with our sister company who i think you work for?
    Most of the intermediate calls between pm's i found were jams because the rollers were worn out, chargables, or a non pm item failing.

Now we go and change this and then that and strangely most of the parts wear out at the same time as thats what they were designed to do