Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: c5502

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

Re: c5502

My first thought also would have been fuser sleeve and cleaning, sometimes it doesnt even look like a fuser but still is, they were not good on the 4502/5502 models. I will say myself and another tech were going through sleeves a lot due to excessive toner build up around the center of the seperation plate and found you can pretty much just remove the plate and springs and it runs just fine without it and then doesnt scratch the crap out of the fuser sleeve it still doesn't pm most of the time but seems to go a little longer.

Almost any quality issue even when it looks like a drum or xfer belt problem ends up being the fuser, almost every call i get on this model is a fuser rebuild, i carry 3 of them in my stock and I only have maybe 10 of these models in my area but can can go through 2-3 replacements in a day. Overall they are a decent machine get some shading and pcu issues once in a while but really if it wasnt for the fuser I would hardly ever get calls on them.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    c5502

Quote Originally Posted by Counsel View Post
    My first thought also would have been fuser sleeve and cleaning, sometimes it doesnt even look like a fuser but still is, they were not good on the 4502/5502 models. I will say myself and another tech were going through sleeves a lot due to excessive toner build up around the center of the seperation plate and found you can pretty much just remove the plate and springs and it runs just fine without it and then doesnt scratch the crap out of the fuser sleeve it still doesn't pm most of the time but seems to go a little longer.

Almost any quality issue even when it looks like a drum or xfer belt problem ends up being the fuser, almost every call i get on this model is a fuser rebuild, i carry 3 of them in my stock and I only have maybe 10 of these models in my area but can can go through 2-3 replacements in a day. Overall they are a decent machine get some shading and pcu issues once in a while but really if it wasnt for the fuser I would hardly ever get calls on them.
    How many copies on average are you getting on these sleeves?

Its wierd to say but it vaires I have at least 2 of the 10 machines making PM if not more, while the other 8 machines maybe get 50k on the sleeves before they are damaged either by scratches or manage to get crunched and make that tin can noise. So other then the 2 that work for some reason im usually getting 50-80k if im lucky on average. On the ones that were really failing like every 20-30k i removed the seperation plates as test subjects and those have since been running closer to the 80k marks they fail but are no longer getting the gunk buildup that scratches the sleeve surface. I only used the 2 as tests cause they failed early and these customers were regularly using only standard letter and legal paper not special or heavy stocks.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Bantams's Avatar

I removed the Scrapper plate once on one but it came in a week later for fuser jams seems without the plate they don't like full color pictures very much and it just wraps around the sleeve We just replace the sleeves and the scrappers as a pair now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantams View Post
    I removed the Scrapper plate once on one but it came in a week later for fuser jams seems without the plate they don't like full color pictures very much and it just wraps around the sleeve We just replace the sleeves and the scrappers as a pair now.

Were they full bleed or just full page of color. One of the ones I removed was a newspaper small town that also does printshop stuff she ran mostly color, not full bleed stuff but average color and on 11x17 and cardstock and she ran without the sep plate no problem. But I feared it could cause a simlilar issue. It seems to work ok in places where its mostly text documents like a bank or hospital color and full page printing are little if none at all in those locations.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Bantams's Avatar

Just full color A4 Portrait it was a school though.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bantams View Post
    I used to just replace the sleeve and file excess toner build up on the stripper plate, but I found that removed the teflon coating on the plate and just wore the sleeve quicker. Now I replace sleeve, pressure roller and stripper plate as a set
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    The fuser sleeves on this series are awfull never last pm life, toner builds up on the guide, this then damages the sleeve causing quality issues

sure enough the film assly and pr were replaced and no more smudges. thanks for the help all.