Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ricoh Copiers

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Ricoh Copiers

Does anyone else have the issue of having a line on your documents when you scan to e-mail or SMB? It's not a big deal, but some of our customers hate the line and call every other day. Surely there has to be a void area you can set up when scanning right?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

Re: Ricoh Copiers

Depends on what machine and where the line is that your describing. Some lines are caused by junk on the scan glass that the user can clean they would run from lead edge to trail of paper. Some lines are down in the lower right corner running perpendicular to the edge of paper usually caused by someone leaned on the adf and the scanner is bent out of place. Lines that run the top to bottom at only the lead or only the trail edge can be caused if the lead edge registeration is off what you actually see is the difference between the paper edge that you scanned and the white plate because the scanner started a millisec before the paper got there or continued after the paper passed by making a line.

There are so many lines you could be describing that an example would help. Someone else may know what your describing but I would have a hard time telling you what it is without more information.

Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 88hawkfan View Post
    Does anyone else have the issue of having a line on your documents when you scan to e-mail or SMB? It's not a big deal, but some of our customers hate the line and call every other day. Surely there has to be a void area you can set up when scanning right?
    There is! I just program in a 2 mm erase margin all round and set that as the default for scanning, dead easy. Gets rid of that pesky line on the very edge of some docs.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetboy View Post
    There is! I just program in a 2 mm erase margin all round and set that as the default for scanning, dead easy. Gets rid of that pesky line on the very edge of some docs.
    Out of curiosity, is there something similar for reduction. I do have a whiny customer who hates the line that shows up when he reduces.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Out of curiosity, is there something similar for reduction. I do have a whiny customer who hates the line that shows up when he reduces.
    I'm not sure, but that kind of sounds like the shadow on the platen glass from the edge of the paper. That was a problem I discovered back in the analog days when people would tape or paste small line art pictures to their originals. The solution to that was to have them tear the pictures out rather than cut them out with scissors - the irregular edges from being torn wouldn't cast a shadow like the edges that were cut.
    Then again, I suppose it would be too much work for a whiny customer to tear a piece of paper with their hands, and I apologize for wasting your time.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Copiers

Depending on the model, they should be able to edit to add a border which will remove the edge shadow.