Trusted Tech 50+ Posts andrewdecruz's Avatar

Smile Ricoh Aficio 3045 - Scan to Window Server 2012

Hi and Good Day Everyone,
    I have a customer who have recently upgraded their server from Win Server 2003 to Win Server 2012. The problem is when the scanner for Aficio 3045 was configured on their old server Win 2003, there was no issue with scanning to the shared folder that was configured on it. But when they migrated the shared folder to the newer version Win Server 2012 there was a problem with the authentication and scanning failed. Is there a problem with the firmware or is it just that it is not possible to scan from Aficio 3045 to the Win Server 2012? Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Ricoh Aficio 3045 - Scan to Window Server 2012

The 3045's built in Samba module is too old to support the SMB protocol used by Server 2012. This model will only support scanning up to Windows 7/Server 2008 R2. Scan to email, and FTP will be your only reliable choices.

There will be techs who will give you settings to change the SMB settings on the server to a lower level, but I would advise against this on any customer equipment since the older SMB versions are less secure, and may open your customer up to potential issues. You can advise their sys admin of the potential to get it to work with a lower level of SMB, but leave the ultimate decision up to them since it's their network.

Of course, I also deal primarily with customers who have specific requirements on their data so my view on it is a little skewed. I'll also take the opinion of leaning more towards security than convenience: after all, what if MY information was also on that server?

You could also see if the customer could dedicate a Windows 7 workstation for use as a scanning destination or, if they have access to Server 2008, create a separate server (physical or virtual) for use as a scanning destination.

They can install Exchange 2010 and use that for scanning to email instead. It isn't difficult to setup and will work on all machines, old and new. Or you could this as leverage to get them to upgrade...

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 3045 - Scan to Window Server 2012

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    The 3045's built in Samba module is too old to support the SMB protocol used by Server 2012. This model will only support scanning up to Windows 7/Server 2008 R2. Scan to email, and FTP will be your only reliable choices.
    This is not correct. B264_NetworkSupport (NCS)_v5125d_LRC0466 is available from both TSRC and rfg-esource for the US market. It is a Special/Custom firmware with a release date of 4/1/2013.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Can they get the custom firmware in kuala lumpur?

In fact,just recently,I have been sent around to update a slew of older machines where the customer has switched to Server 2012.
    MOST models latest version of firmware enables use with Server 2012.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    This is not correct. B264_NetworkSupport (NCS)_v5125d_LRC0466 is available from both TSRC and rfg-esource for the US market. It is a Special/Custom firmware with a release date of 4/1/2013.
    As an independent, I didn't know they had it available. Really, it makes sense that it should since there's not a lot of difference between SMB2 in Windows 7 and SMB3 in 8.1...

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    As an independent, I didn't know they had it available. Really, it makes sense that it should since there's not a lot of difference between SMB2 in Windows 7 and SMB3 in 8.1...
    To my knowledge all Ricoh MFP that use SD cards for updating can be updated. You just have to know where on their websites to find the updates. I do not believe that there are updates for any of the machines that use PCMCIA memory cards can be updated, I can't even think of of those models that even had scanning other than TWAIN and ScanRouter or other scan server software.