Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

C4503 PCU conversion

Is anyone aware of any conversions for the black and color PCU's in the C4503/5503 series? Ricoh's pricing is ridiculous.........

Re: C4503 PCU conversion

I've looked a little into it, I could not find a mod yet. The drums are supposed to last the entire life of the machine, but I've had them fail quickly, especially after the ITB cleaning unit clogged and leaked all over all drums. (Ricoh sent us spares on warrenty).

I also looked into using the 2003 type drums, you can use the BK 2003 in place of a colour 2003 but no larger models, they are different. It might work if you replace just the drum cylinder, but I haven't tried.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    C4503 PCU conversion

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    I've looked a little into it, I could not find a mod yet. The drums are supposed to last the entire life of the machine,

The drums are supposed to last the life of the machine? Where did you get that from?

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    The drums are supposed to last the life of the machine? Where did you get that from?
    This is what Ricoh UK are telling us. I know that the life of the drum is rated at 400k (for black) but we have seen them go quicker, and also sometimes longer, than that.

A PM replacement of 400k (BK) and 270k (colour), to me, is a lot better for the cost.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ricoh New Zealand have a conversion procedure. It's about 10 pages long and time consuming, with various things that can ruin the entire PCU along the way if you do them wrong. It might be cheaper to purchase a whole 3503 for a spares donor, buy the time you include 4 drums and a fuser, as well as a DF that can go on a 5503, it looks pretty good. As well as all the motors and annoying little parts that would be backordered otherwise.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by SargeNZ View Post
    Ricoh New Zealand have a conversion procedure. It's about 10 pages long and time consuming, with various things that can ruin the entire PCU along the way if you do them wrong. It might be cheaper to purchase a whole 3503 for a spares donor, buy the time you include 4 drums and a fuser, as well as a DF that can go on a 5503, it looks pretty good. As well as all the motors and annoying little parts that would be backordered otherwise.

Seems kind of pricey to purchase an entire machine as a parts "donor". We have 80-90 of these in the field....some of which are doing volumes that would bring these PCU's to yield in two years. There has to be a more cost effective way to address this. Any other thoughts?.....thanks for all the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by copiercop View Post
    Seems kind of pricey to purchase an entire machine as a parts "donor". We have 80-90 of these in the field....some of which are doing volumes that would bring these PCU's to yield in two years. There has to be a more cost effective way to address this. Any other thoughts?.....thanks for all the feedback.
    As Sarge stated....factor in the price of a full set of drums and a fuser and you could buy a 3003 as a doner.
    I've seen the ITB dumping ruin a pcdu already and the drum was only @48k.
    So far as we are aware there is no way to mod a black pcu for color............................................. ..for now

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Max's Avatar

Quite a few companies order complete new copiers for donation purposes as it works out a lot cheaper in the long run.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Quite a few companies order complete new copiers for donation purposes as it works out a lot cheaper in the long run.
    This can not possibly be cost effective. We have 90 or so of these in the field...some doing significant volume, requiring us to replace the PCU's twice in the machine's life cycle. We were merely inquiring if a solution was available...ala C4501/4502 PCU conversion, which is quite effective. How can we maintain a service margin by ordering entire machines for parts?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    C4503 PCU conversion

Quote Originally Posted by copiercop View Post
    This can not possibly be cost effective. We have 90 or so of these in the field...some doing significant volume, requiring us to replace the PCU's twice in the machine's life cycle. We were merely inquiring if a solution was available...ala C4501/4502 PCU conversion, which is quite effective. How can we maintain a service margin by ordering entire machines for parts?
    If you do a little searching, you can find a low meter count operational used machine for around $500-$600. This is often less than some boards replacements will cost. 2 or 3 uses as a parts source and you are ahead cost wise.