Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Midwest Regional Manager
    mp3351 lihgt copy scanner

Re: mp3351 lihgt copy scanner

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Sorry, I see a lot of color machines with light copies because who ever set them up never ran ACC. The cleaning the mirrors still applies. Dust on the mirrors makes the white reference look like some shade of grey. This shifts the entire grey scale. The more the dust, the lighter the copies get.
    FYI the mp 3351 is a bw box

Quote Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
    FYI the mp 3351 is a bw box

But thats got nothing to do with color. He corrected himself already.

Go clean the reference patch.

And start looking for a drum and developer

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greenbean View Post
    The original post states the pm and counter at 89k. Recommended replacement is 60k for drum and developer. This model is kind of strange when drum and developer reach end of life. One symptom of weak drum/developer is light copies from glass/scanner. Although the prints appear to look good at first glance, they will not compare to prints from new drum/developer. If light copies continue after this then troubleshooting the scanner would be justified but not before. I was burned by this exact issue and convinced myself the issue was in the scanner when is was just simple pm parts needed.
    Thanks for repying to my question. I don't work on this machine really, but my i would think the troubleshooting method or symptoms for copiershould besimilar with some minor diffrences. However, what i usually do, is print a file that i use as a test print or template and check the output. from experience i would tell if that unit drum/dev/charge roller or corona is ok. OR do internal print test. actually i do this first. IF these are ok, there is no way that the drum/dev can cause light prints when copying. a failing ccd unit and or lamp can also contribute to poor or light copies [ colour is more tricky, but the internal test prints should show the health of the pm items]
    Many say they clean mirrors and glass, but how was it done and what was used to clean also comes into question.
    I have learned not to trust meter reads'but ina forum like this, i would want to know that and like you will suggest solutions as to counts. But i can't take away the most important, which is, you know the machine and the symptoms. thanks again i am learning these machines from you guys as the threads continues.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

The fact is on this series and including the MP2550 you can have light copies, and fine internal prints and printing from the computer.
    Never saw a good reason for it but have myself installed a new PCU and then copies are perfect.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Debs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    IF these are ok, there is no way that the drum/dev can cause light prints when copying.
    Not true on this range of machines, I've come across it where at first glance, prints appear to be fine, but copies are faint. If you look closely at the prints though, you may find that the solid areas are not quite as solid as they could be. Replacing drum/dev can indeed cure this problem
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary maths and those who don't

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Was working on a MP 2852 today that the complaint was light copies. Due to the count on the machine we had ordered a PM kit as it had not yet been done. One thing I always do is print a count sheet and then make a copy of it. As a result I knew that at least one of the mirrors was dirty. See attached. One a=is a scan of the copy the other is a picture of the mirror on the exposure scanner.20150330_124615.pdf20150330162932444.pdf