Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

How to delete HDD for Return

Ricoh MPC4000

I need some assistance from someone who works on this brand of equipment. This equipment is being returned due to end of lease. What is the procedure for ensuring the data on the HDD is erased and ready for return?

I have looked into this and the "Erase All Data" feature is not available. Under administrator tools, the option for this function is not available.

Is there a way to hide that feature? And, if so, how do you show that feature again?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: How to delete HDD for Return

Quote Originally Posted by CVBS View Post
    Ricoh MPC4000

I need some assistance from someone who works on this brand of equipment. This equipment is being returned due to end of lease. What is the procedure for ensuring the data on the HDD is erased and ready for return?

I have looked into this and the "Erase All Data" feature is not available. Under administrator tools, the option for this function is not available.

Is there a way to hide that feature? And, if so, how do you show that feature again?
    There is not such a feature in "user tools) to do that.
    You can run SP5832 to format the HDD and/or you can simply pull out the controller and remove the HDD and hand it to the business owner (takes less than 5 minutes), and then replace it with any off the rack /used SATA drive that's a minimum of 160Gb (which may or may not even be necessary for return)

Retired 10,000+ Posts

At one time, Ricoh's stated policy was to contact the customer's IT department. If they are concerned about the data then give them the drive. If you want to erase everything on a machine that does not have Disk Overwrite Security, install it in a computer and run something such as Norton Wipe Disk.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Reformat the HDD through service mode.
    Run 10 test pages to overwrite the spooler and reformat again.
    The HDD is partitioned for 10 spooled print jobs.
    Running 10 test prints will fill the partitions with test pages.

Ricoh machines do not retain all print jobs.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    Reformat the HDD through service mode.
    Run 10 test pages to overwrite the spooler and reformat again.
    The HDD is partitioned for 10 spooled print jobs.
    Running 10 test prints will fill the partitions with test pages.

Ricoh machines do not retain all print jobs.
    Can you point me in the direction of how to get the machine to "service mode" and the service code(s) for reformatting the HDD. I am only familiar with Toshiba and KM when it comes to service mode and the appropriate codes.

Quote Originally Posted by CVBS View Post
    Ricoh MPC4000

There can be no assurances that the HDD will be fully formatted and the previously stored data is irretrievable. With enough determination anyone can read the HDD. If this machine is for resale, then the internal format is enough. You could also remove the HDD easily and format in any PC, the internal Windows format should be enough for most uses or you can use a third party low level random data formatter.

Even a neodymium magnet may not be adequate to fully format the HDD, the most secure way to erase data on a HDD for a security conscious customer is to destroy the HDD in its entirety and replace it with a new one.

Ricoh has a utility that wipes off the HDD. Forgot the exact name but i used to install it using a java card. Go to Ricoh website and it should be there.

Just about every version or size/type of hard disk drive that I have gotten has been in some sort of flavor of FAT--either FAT16 or FAT32.

That being said, I have found this FAT formatting utility to be quite useful to clean off the hard drive and then I do a disk error check with system disk utilities!:

Fat32Formatter

This can be done so you can re-use/recycle the disk for other uses. It doesn't do the guvmint 7-pass zero write erase, but it does what I need it to do which is to get it back to a "factory type format" ready for re-use!

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

I use MIRAY hard drive shredder, it's an application you can purchase. It gives you options to wipe to any international standards your customer wants. This is a fee based service we provide.

search the forums for the info you seek for service mode It's already posted here somewhere.......
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Then there's this!:

LOL!

RIP Hard Drives!

PS--Oh, and THIS!!!...keep watching for lots of shredding videos!