Need help regarding firmware update

hi. we're small company that selling used ricoh mc to end user. so, the problem is got one mc mpc 4000 have problem with panel. the touch panel no response and blank. other button (copy,print etc) functioning well. just panel only got problem. we already fixed the problem by changing some part on the mc. but my supplier said we need to upgrade the firmware to avoid this thing happen again. my question are,

1) is it got any problem if we maintain current firmware for our mc as long the end user can use for print, copy and scan ?
    2) how do i get the firmware ?
    3) the firmware come with full package for adf, system, scanner or the firmware is for part by part ?
    4) do i need any tools for upgrading the firmware ?
    5) where can i get manual for upgrading the firmware ?

we also got few mc that have problem with toner not detected. is it problem with firmware also or just the hardware issue ?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Need help regarding firmware update

If the machines you have not detecting toner are MPC4000's they probably need a toner pump, easy to replace. You probably need call a qualified Ricoh tech to do the frimwar!

Quote Originally Posted by epintotox View Post
    hi. we're small company that selling used ricoh mc to end user. so, the problem is got one mc mpc 4000 have problem with panel. the touch panel no response and blank. other button (copy,print etc) functioning well. just panel only got problem. we already fixed the problem by changing some part on the mc. but my supplier said we need to upgrade the firmware to avoid this thing happen again. my question are,
    You have a dead BICU and Polygon, hire a qualified tech to replace them, they are not cheap and need to replaced in a specific way.

2) how do i get the firmware ?
    You can't, firmware is for qualified techs, updating firmware can permanately damage machines to the point of replacing boards and so it isn't available to end-users or anyone who doesn't have the correct qualifications.
    If you are know to Ricoh then you can request access at: my-ricoh.com

we also got few mc that have problem with toner not detected. is it problem with firmware also or just the hardware issue ?
    If you use cheap toner the pumps will fail all the time and will need to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    If the machines you have not detecting toner are MPC4000's they probably need a toner pump, easy to replace. You probably need call a qualified Ricoh tech to do the frimwar!
    hi anothertech, tq for the reply. so, for the toner problem, only toner pump need to change ? this issue does not related with firmware outdated ?

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    You have a dead BICU and Polygon, hire a qualified tech to replace them, they are not cheap and need to replaced in a specific way.

You can't, firmware is for qualified techs, updating firmware can permanately damage machines to the point of replacing boards and so it isn't available to end-users or anyone who doesn't have the correct qualifications.
    If you are know to Ricoh then you can request access at: my-ricoh.com

If you use cheap toner the pumps will fail all the time and will need to be replaced.

hi ruben, tq for the reply. really appreciated it. everything clear know. as what i understand, all the problem i faced just because of hardware problem not firmware issue and the firmware issue mostly related to print and scan for latest version pc. problem solved. tq again ruben

Technician

1. download firmware for your type of the machine
    2. extract evrything in a new folder to make in a bit more transparent
    3. now you have around 5-10 firmware downloaded put them in the folder

You will need your firmware .fwu format to make this upgrade!

You will need a sd card (not bigger than 1 or 2 gb!)
    Create a new folder on sd card and name it "romdata", inside this folder you create new sub-folders and name them after first 4 signs.
    For example a firmware part number is "D0295432D",
    You must create a new folder and this folder name is "D029", and you put in this "D029" folder all firmware part numbers that has this first 4 sign.
    You only put .fwu files in this folder

Example2

Firmware list

D0295280D
    D0377880E
    D0652373C

You must the create 3 folder. and this folder name "D027" , "D037" , "D065" and you put in .fwu files.

Dont do firmware upgrade if there is any possibility of electrical problems becouse if during rom upgrade you ran out of electricity you are in deep trouble.

but my supplier said we need to upgrade the firmware to avoid this thing happen again
    this could well be the truth becouse firmware LCDC is for touch panel. But most likely and in the 9/10 it is hardware failure. Swapping touch panel (i think the code is D029 1484) is a first thing when touch panel isnt working.

BR

Quote Originally Posted by mazzi View Post

Create a new folder on sd card and name it "romdata", inside this folder you create new sub-folders and name them after first 4 signs.
    You must create a new folder and this folder name is "D029", and you put in this "D029" folder all firmware part numbers that has this first 4 sign.

Example2

Firmware list

D0295280D
    D0377880E
    D0652373C

You must the create 3 folder. and this folder name "D027" , "D037" , "D065" and you put in .fwu files.

Dont do firmware upgrade if there is any possibility of electrical problems becouse if during rom upgrade you ran out of electricity you are in deep trouble.

but my supplier said we need to upgrade the firmware to avoid this thing happen again
    this could well be the truth becouse firmware LCDC is for touch panel. But most likely and in the 9/10 it is hardware failure. Swapping touch panel (i think the code is D029 1484) is a first thing when touch panel isnt working.

BR
    You do not need to create sub folders inside romdata, just the firmware files alone will work; and it will work faster too, as the machine doesn't need to do a recursive list operation on them.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: Need help regarding firmware update

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    You do not need to create sub folders inside romdata, just the firmware files alone will work; and it will work faster too, as the machine doesn't need to do a recursive list operation on them.
    Hey, that sounds like a good tip, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mazzi View Post

Example2

Firmware list

D0295280D
    D0377880E
    D0652373C

BR
    firmware list in that example is part by part right ? mean that if got panel problem, i just need update firmware for panel only right ? is it ? we already change the hardware to see either problem is from hardware or firmware. mc still on test. if confirm firmware, i will ask certificate tech to update the firmware. tq mazzi for this helpful reply