Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mpc toner pumps

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: mpc toner pumps

Thanks for all the replies. However, those that made reference to new pumps vs old pumps, I'd still like to know how you distinguish old and new visually. Anyone not know ?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    mpc toner pumps

Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. However, those that made reference to new pumps vs old pumps, I'd still like to know how you distinguish old and new visually. Anyone not know ?
    Very simple. A new pump is one that you order from Ricoh parts. An old pump is one that you remove from another machine.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks slimslob, not quite the answer I was looking for. Modified new pt number pumps vs the pre-modified pumps, visual difference is what i meant, but I think you knew that anyway.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    mpc toner pumps

You could buy a new one and compare it to an old one?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

You said the pumps look identical from the outside, and every one else agrees with you.
    I suppose you could take the pumps apart and look for the differences in the stator. You say you've already seen the information that anothertech gave you earlier after all, so that shouldn't be too hard.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Taking one of these pumps apart is a death sentence for the pump, simply don't bother. I have tried in vain to make a dead pump work and you simply can't. I have taken apart a working pump 'just to see' and ended up installing a new one because I was left with a dead pump.

I have even driven from client to the Ricoh warehouse to get one in an extreme pinch (about an hour to hour and a half drive), but I just carry the black pump in both types at all times now.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    I have tried in vain to make a dead pump work and you simply can't.
    I think that's because the actual pump part is OK, but the clutch on the rear end of the pump is bad. At least on the couple of failed toner pumps that I've taken apart all I've been able to see were bad electromagnetic clutches. Those pumps were probably from older machines, though.
    It used to be that electromagnetic clutches could be at least temporarily fixed by either knurling the clutch faces or reversing the metal piece on the non-driven side of the clutch, but I haven't been able to get that to work anymore.

Fitted a new Black Pump to an MPC2500 on friday 17th April.. We are a small company and still also buy this range of machines when they come back off lease direct from Ricoh.
    I noticed that there is a small white plastic cap sat covering a hole on the old pump. The new one has this hole sealed over and does not have the cap!
    If the other more experienced guy's don't dismiss this totally as being a difference then i can post a picture of the old pump and the small round white plastic cap tomorrow. Regards

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    mpc toner pumps

Quote Originally Posted by Itanic View Post
    Fitted a new Black Pump to an MPC2500 on friday 17th April.. We are a small company and still also buy this range of machines when they come back off lease direct from Ricoh.
    I noticed that there is a small white plastic cap sat covering a hole on the old pump. The new one has this hole sealed over and does not have the cap!
    If the other more experienced guy's don't dismiss this totally as being a difference then i can post a picture of the old pump and the small round white plastic cap tomorrow. Regards
    Sounds like an obvious difference to me.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Couple notes from the cheap seats.

First, non OEM toner is terrible for Ricoh color machines. I have hammered customers trying to go cheap on toner for early failure of drums, pumps and anything else you can think of. It simply doesn't save money in the long term, results in a less reliable machine and just all sorts of issues.

The pumps on the 2500-3000-3500 machines are much less likely to go out than those on the 2800-3300. The pumps look close to the same, but they are different part numbers. As someone mentioned, there is a older version that turned out to be defective (it will fail at some point) and a newer version that fixed the issues with the old version. I never had a new style pump fail.

Same can be said of the laser mirror motors for the 2800-3300. There is a new version that doesn't fail and a old version that will fail at some point, resulting in a SC202.