Technician

Install hdd in ricoh mp 4500

Hi! I am trying to install a hdd in a MP 4500 unit. I located where the HDD goes. I can physically see where to plug it in. Problem is how to get to it. Does anyone have an idea how to easily do this?
    The service manual I have doesn't cover this. (or I can't find it)
    Thanks

Re: Install hdd in ricoh mp 4500

Making the HDD hard to get to is sometimes part of the security design.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Making the HDD hard to get to is sometimes part of the security design.
    Thanks for the response. That does make since; although some of the literature about this machine was claiming that a removable HDD allowed users to know for sure that there were no files left behind. Anyway, I worry when I start pulling out stuff that I may not get it back right.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Install hdd in ricoh mp 4500

IF you actually have a service manual, the removal and replacement procedure is absolutely in there!
    IF you have any clue what you're doing, then it's about a 5 minute job to swap it
    IF the bracket that the HDD needs to be mounted to, in order to install it on the controller is missing, then you have a whole other issue to deal with.

Either call a tech, or deal with the lack of duplexing, which seems to be the ONLY reason you're wanting to install it, based on you're previous thread

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    IF you actually have a service manual, the removal and replacement procedure is absolutely in there!
    IF you have any clue what you're doing, then it's about a 5 minute job to swap it
    IF the bracket that the HDD needs to be mounted to, in order to install it on the controller is missing, then you have a whole other issue to deal with.

Either call a tech, or deal with the lack of duplexing, which seems to be the ONLY reason you're wanting to install it, based on you're previous thread
    Thanks and you are right. At this point I simply want to duplex. The HDD mounts inside a bracket and I see no way to remove this bracket with out pulling out a lot of stuff. I will check the service manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Richards View Post
    Thanks for the response. That does make since; although some of the literature about this machine was claiming that a removable HDD allowed users to know for sure that there were no files left behind. Anyway, I worry when I start pulling out stuff that I may not get it back right.

That's not for the customer to do.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Bantams's Avatar

See section 3.20 of the service manual there's even a nice little picture for you to colour in should take 5 mins max and that includes time for doing the picture .

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Bantams View Post
    See section 3.20 of the service manual there's even a nice little picture for you to colour in should take 5 mins max and that includes time for doing the picture .
    lol
    Thanks

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

without opening the back cover , just removing the side small plastic bracket , remove the two screw on the control board and just pull out the unit , the harddisk is mounted on this controller board