Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    dturner

Network scanning issue with Ricoh Aficio MP 5002

My company has a Ricoh Aficio MP 5002 that it uses for most of its work. The machine is plugged into the network and has 60 (1 for each user) users in its address book. It is set to scan to an individual scan folder for each user that is located on a stand alone server (NOT the domain controller). The users then have their own PC's have a shortcut drive mapped to their particular scan folder. So, for example, when Johnny wants to scan something, he walks up to the Ricoh and hits his name and then 'scan'. The Ricoh scans it to his particular folder that is located on the server. When he walks back to his desk, he opens his mapped drive to that folder, and there is his scanned document.
    We've been using this systems for years now, and it's worked great. It keeps everything nice and clean, and if someone gets a new computer, we can just create a new mapped drive to their scan folder; easy peasy.

My problem is that 1 user has been having speed issues for a few weeks when it comes to actually receiving the scan into their folder. The mapped drive comes up just fine, but the scan sometimes takes 10-15 minutes to appear (compared to the few seconds it used to take). This only happens sometimes; some days its terribly slow, and some days it's lightning fast.
    This just started happening to a second user (the vice president) so NOW it's serious. Haha.

I noticed that the ethernet speed was set to 'auto select', so I set it to '100mbps Full Duplex' (the highest speed available). The entire office started getting scanner errors, some of which involved the scanned file being corrupted. I'm assuming the cross talk with the full duplex 'confused' it. I set it to '100mbps half duplex', and the rest of the office went back to normal, but the 2 original users were still having their issue.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? Did a firmware update or something similar help?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Network scanning issue with Ricoh Aficio MP 5002

It's a Windows issue, not a scanner issue. I've seen this on several workstations for no rhyme or reason...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2769790/en-us

Have their IT install the hotfix and see if that takes care of the issue.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Network scanning issue with Ricoh Aficio MP 5002

You might be looking at a network refresh problem. When you are scanning, as soon as the memory returns to 100%, top right of screen, the document has been sent. In a large network, a shared folder does not always update at a client computer immediately, especially if you have a direct link to the folder on the desk top. I had the problem at a school district. If the user opened the folder the new scan was not there, but the IT people could open the folder while logged in to the server and the file was there. I found that if I opened the folder and then went either up one folder and the opened the folder from the parent folder the tile was there.

dturner

Thanks for the quick and helpful answers, guys. I'll look into both and post back what helps!