Technician
    mp 2851 black edges

mp 2851 black edges

when we put anything smaller than 81/2x11 on glass like checks it copies total black on 1 side of the copy. almost like a sky shot but the lid is closed ??? and only on 1 side

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: mp 2851 black edges

Counterfeiting protection software: this kicks in any time you copy currency, checks, or some government documents. Either reduce or enlarge the image by 10-15 per cent. At least all it does is give you a black image: in the old days machines would give you an undocumented code that you were required to contact the OEM to clear, or at least that how the legend goes.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Counterfeiting protection software: this kicks in any time you copy currency, checks, or some government documents. Either reduce or enlarge the image by 10-15 per cent. At least all it does is give you a black image: in the old days machines would give you an undocumented code that you were required to contact the OEM to clear, or at least that how the legend goes.
    It is an anti-counterfeiting scheme. It looks for elements, such as microprint, to determine if it is to 'black out' the image. Notable enlargement / reduction or sometimes even just turning the document on a weird angle will usually get around the 'problem'. Banks call me on this from time to time, can't figure out why .

The older machines would skew the output with a heavy yellow background on colour machines and there was no prevention on the older B&W engines that I'm aware of. The colour machines do however encode their serial number in little yellow dots on the page unobtrusively, for later identification should one be used for such nefarious activity as counterfeiting.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    mp 2851 black edges

I usually recommend to my customers to either enlarge or reduce by at least 10%. They usually decide to reduce as that allows to get more on a page when they are making copies of items they are depositing.