Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Ricoh MP C2800 Charge roller cleaning and part number?

Hi there,

I am working on a Ricoh MP C2800. The problem is image quality. It is producing horizontal black lines on every print and there are cloudy black patches. The lines are about 29mm apart. I have taken the PCU apart and i can see horizontal cracks on the charge roller. My question is that if i clean the roller then would it resolve the issue? if yes then what is the best way to clean it? Also I need to know the part number for the charge roller. Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP C2800 Charge roller cleaning and part number?

To my knowledge there is no replacement part for the charge rollers on Ricoh color machines. If the charge roller is indeed cracked, you need to replace the drum unit. If it is a color drum, there are a number of threads on modifications to use a Black drum to replace a color drum. If the charge roller is just dirty, the assembly holding the charge roller and cleaning roller can be removed from the bottom of the drum unit. On older style drum units, there are three tabs that lock into a flexible plastic piece. Release the tabs and rotate the unit up and lift it out. Be careful. If you break the tabs or the pivot pins, you will need to replace the entire drum unit. The newer units have two screws holding the end closest to the developer and three tabs. After removing the screws and releasing the tabs the unit lifts out. To clean the charge roller, rotate a sheet or two of paper between the charge roller and charge cleaning brush roller to keep the brush roller dry. Use a clean soft cloth or paper towel. Moisten it with water, do not over moisten. Wipe the roller from end to end, turning the roller slightly between pass. Once you have cleaned the entire roller surface, let it dry before removing the paper. When removing and reinstalling the charge assembly, do not bend the charge contact that is on one end. If the problem returns, or if the drum unit has over 80K on it replace the drum unit.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    To my knowledge there is no replacement part for the charge rollers on Ricoh color machines. If the charge roller is indeed cracked, you need to replace the drum unit. If it is a color drum, there are a number of threads on modifications to use a Black drum to replace a color drum. If the charge roller is just dirty, the assembly holding the charge roller and cleaning roller can be removed from the bottom of the drum unit. On older style drum units, there are three tabs that lock into a flexible plastic piece. Release the tabs and rotate the unit up and lift it out. Be careful. If you break the tabs or the pivot pins, you will need to replace the entire drum unit. The newer units have two screws holding the end closest to the developer and three tabs. After removing the screws and releasing the tabs the unit lifts out. To clean the charge roller, rotate a sheet or two of paper between the charge roller and charge cleaning brush roller to keep the brush roller dry. Use a clean soft cloth or paper towel. Moisten it with water, do not over moisten. Wipe the roller from end to end, turning the roller slightly between pass. Once you have cleaned the entire roller surface, let it dry before removing the paper. When removing and reinstalling the charge assembly, do not bend the charge contact that is on one end. If the problem returns, or if the drum unit has over 80K on it replace the drum unit.

Thanks a lot for your help. I have found a part AD02-7018 on the internet and according to the seller, this should fit c2800. I am not confident in purchasing that as this is the only web site with this info. what do you think?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I don't see that machine listed here:
    Ricoh AD027018 (AD02-7018) Charge Roller, Genuine (J3236)
    so I wouldn't buy that roller if I were you. At least not for the MPC2800, anyway.
    (I still carry that roller as car stock, and I've never used it on anything but black and white machines.)

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

The part number, AD027018 is a charge roller for a black and white machine and will not fit that pcu. The charge roller is not available as a separate part.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    I don't see that machine listed here:
    Ricoh AD027018 (AD02-7018) Charge Roller, Genuine (J3236)
    so I wouldn't buy that roller if I were you. At least not for the MPC2800, anyway.
    (I still carry that roller as car stock, and I've never used it on anything but black and white machines.)
    The models listed at the link location are all B/W. They are all contact type charge rollers. Most Ricoh color machines in the low to mid volume range use non-contact charge rollers. Material composition is completely different.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Here is a YouTube video showing cleaning the charge roller. The start and end show removing and reinstall the roller assembly with the original style drum unit. I do not disassemble any further than that. As I said in my first, just roller paper between the charge roller and cleaning roller. Be careful trying to clean the charge cleaning roller. Many of them are made of a foam type material that is easily damaged.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Here is a YouTube video showing cleaning the charge roller. The start and end show removing and reinstall the roller assembly with the original style drum unit. I do not disassemble any further than that. As I said in my first, just roller paper between the charge roller and cleaning roller. Be careful trying to clean the charge cleaning roller. Many of them are made of a foam type material that is easily damaged.
    Many thanks for all the help. can I have the youtube video link please?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

i have used turtle wax to clean the charge rollers, its not a permanent fix, just long enough to get another one ordered to replace it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Hers is another attempt at posting YouTube video. If it doesn't work, just go to YouTube and search Ricoh cleaning charge roller for streaking.