Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    printman

SC120 Error for Ricoh MP171

Hi all,

Basically, my machines' scanner doesn't function properly. Every time I put a piece of paper on the scanner glass and try making a copy it makes some noise and the scanner head on the glass doesn't run properly. I then get this SC120 error.

I have reset the machine over a 100 times by holding the "*" & "#" key and whilst it clears the error temporary it doesn't work. I have opened the glass and manually used my hand to pull the ribbon via the pulley system back and forth. I even went into the SP mode and set the "Scanner Free Run" and the "Scan Adj Auto" and that passes - only to find that it fails again!

Overall, this machine is getting on my nerves now. I am no engineer but the one I hire is useless. Charges a lot and isn't very friendly. In fact, most of the things in my life I do myself - I tend to not hire someone. I fixed another problem on my machine last time thanks to some friendly help on this forum

Would appreciate it if someone could help me out

Thanks so much

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: SC120 Error for Ricoh MP171

That's an error for the scanner home position sensor. Replacing that or the drive motor isn't really something someone not trained on a device should try. There's also a possibility that the controller board has an issue as well. Your best bet is going to be to find a different company to service the machine if the one you deal with now is that bad.