Thread: data in light

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

data in light

Just wanted to post this and get some feedback if anybody else has been seeing this and what may be causing it...

On all types of ricoh models, mp 161,171,201, mp c3000,4500,5000 i keep getting calls that their data in light is solid green but nothing will print. The solution everytime is to reset the print job, and then delete that print job out of the print q on the customers computer. But it is super annoying when you don't know where the print came from with large companies or when it happens multiple times.

I don't think it is a specific type of print i see everytime...it seems to be anything, like a word document, pdf, print from internet, etc...The first and really the main thing i would check was to make sure that the firmware was up to date. But as far as im concerned that's all good on these machines that ive seen it on.

And it's not the super slow printing you would hear about from a customer that recently upgraded to windows 10 and is accidentally printing from the universal driver that windows 10 downloads for users. It doesn't print at all and then everything gets backed up...

I believe the one time i saw this on an 01 (3001) i actually got an sc899...which is not in the manual...but finding and clearing the print took care of it.

any body seen this at all...any advice or help? Thanks!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    data in light

Re: data in light

This is usually a firmware issue, you say you checked but did you check ALL files are the latest?

Also drivers are they the latest?

Lastly to note all the models you list are very old so Ricoh wont support this models or bring out newer firmware anymore.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

That sounds like a firmware issue. sc899 is a network/print error -- I've seen it happen a LOT when printing pages from the internet, especially pages with ads on them. One workaround is to have the users copy any web pages they want to print into Word first, then print the pages from there.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Config page instructions for copiers, printers, & fax machines

If the customers are on Windows 10, make sure the driver is using TCP/IP and not WSD.

Windows 10 installs all printers as WSD (if it is available, I turn this off from WM whenever possible.), unless you tell it at install time that it is a TCP device.

I have found WSD to be slow and generally unreliable, causing similar issues to this.

SC899 can be cured with firmware, however Ricoh needs to be made aware of the file that caused the error. Just in case.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks guys...i think youre right...I'll check all my firmware and see if its up to date!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

99.99% of the time the "cause" of the SC 899 is either guys trying to print sports/hunting web pages or women trying to print recipe pages!...moving, changing graphics, gifs, videos, the print driver doesn't know how to parse the data stream and it HANGS! I have found (if they want the graphics in the printout) it's best to use a print to PDF function such as Bullzip: Bullzip.com - Free PDF Printer which then allows them to print without any hang-ups.

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html