Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

Ricoh MP C3003- Print Spooling 10+MB file

Serial: W493L200860

Apologies if this is the wrong place as this has aspects of printing and networking.

I have a client wanting to print a 10+MB (14.4MB to be exact) and looking at the queue, it spool blooms to 47MB taking a long time to print. Client said an hour til it printed, I'd guess slightly less than that, but still far too long.
    I have tried Direct Printing which has failed to accelerate the matter. I have enabled Spooler Printing via the WIM, tired EF 1.008 (under print processor), switching from WSD to IP\Port, shrinking the image scale to at the PC print screen, switching to Print after last page spooled, Stop and Start (not Restart) Print Spooling Service; all didn't resolve the issue.

The client is not willing to edit image size on 10+MB files to reduce file size as I had done that with the image and it did print. They are also not willing to give the photographer instructions to not send such large files to them.

Client PC information (Though there will be MACs introduced later.)
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit on HP computer
    Connected to network via Network Cable (Assuming Cat 5e)

So in my effort to do research on the matter I wish to query the brain trust.

Here is my research thus far.
    Print Spooling Issue (Possibilities)
    0) Postscript (?) [[PS3 on order for device]]
    1) Try PCL 5 Driver
    2)Clear Printer Spooler Files and Enable the Spooler Service
    =================================
    1. Click Start, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.
    2. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.
    3. Click Stop and click OK.
    4. Click Start, type "%WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers" in the Start Search box and press Enter, delete all files in this folder.
    5. Click Start, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.
    6. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.
    7. Click on Start. In the Startup Type list, make sure that "Automatic" is selected and click OK.
    3)"One way I found around this was to add the printer as a local printer pointing to the port - as opposed to connecting to it mapping across the server. As soon as I did that, print speed was normal.
    4)Shorten Printer Name (maybe)"

Thank You for Reading and Responding

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: Ricoh MP C3003- Print Spooling 10+MB file

Lots of good info, but you did not say what application you are printing from.

Word? PDF? Something else?

Unflattened PDFs can grow to MANY times their original size. 4+ is actually pretty low.

47 MB or so is not all that large a spool file to deal with; that in and of itself shouldn't matter.

Did you try an LPR port, instead of Standard TCP/IP? That may help. It's supposedly not as chatty. WSD ports need to die; they SUCK, period.

I think that model has the PDF Direct feature, which will allow you to LPR a PDF to it directly. In the past, you needed PostScript to do that. If you can, it will eliminate any driver issue, as it won't use one. No finishing, of course, but a good troubleshooting tool.

Please feel free to post back if you don't know how do do that, or search CTN for it. I know I have posted it at least a few times over the years.

The PostScript option is almost never a bad idea, especially if you are printing from a PostScript based app, such as most Adobe products. Not likely at all that MS Office apps would benefit, other than possibly Publisher, although Publisher has a myriad of its own issues when it comes to printing - it can be painful.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

The Win 10 picture Image Viewer in this case a Jpeg. I cannot change the methods of view\print very much due to the clients preference.
    I'll add the LPR to my list, thank you.
    I hope that extra bit of info helps

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh MP C3003- Print Spooling 10+MB file

You said you have order PS3 option so I take it that you are currently not using PostScript. I hope you are not using the Ricoh type driver that wimodws automatiicly installs as it can take minutes to spool a 1 page document. If using the Ricoh PCL6 for this model, not the one for universal print as it is also slow, check printer preferences - Print Quality - Vector/Raster. Try both settings. I had a church where changing this change an 8 page 8 1/2 X 17 folder over bulletin from over 30 minutes to spool to about 1 minute. Also check the resolution. Use the lowest setting that gives acceptable image quality.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Methedor View Post
    Serial: W493L200860
    I have a client wanting to print a 10+MB (14.4MB to be exact) and looking at the queue, it spool blooms to 47MB taking a long time to print. Client said an hour til it printed, I'd guess slightly less than that, but still far too long.
    It varys but print jobs should be spooling in excess of an 1Mb/sec over an network connection (if not faster).

I'd check out why the connection speed is so slow.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Unfortunately, the MPC3003/3503 have really, really slow controller processors and take forever to spool large print jobs. It has been acknowledged by Ricoh Japan. The only fix is to put a 4503 in there, they have the faster chip.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Try hook up your laptop with a cross cable and you can probably proof that this is not a machine-wise performance isssue....

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Unfortunately, the MPC3003/3503 have really, really slow controller processors and take forever to spool large print jobs. It has been acknowledged by Ricoh Japan. The only fix is to put a 4503 in there, they have the faster chip.
    I agree!

My previous suggestions were to only try to make the best of what's there.

The C3003/3503 is quite slow compared to most.

"You can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day, it's still a pig", as the saying goes.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Very slow to load up from off and to update, but can't say I've noticed slow spooling speeds though.

Certainly not up to an hour for a mere 47Mb.
    We would have customers complaining left, right and center if that was the case.

At my office I did a test print of ~13.3MB colored Fantasy map image to our MP C3002.
    I am using Windows 8.1 and a PCL 6 Driver, default spool settings using a wireless connection. (~2.1Ghz dual core, 16GB RAM)
    Attempting to use the print from the image viewer has trouble rendering the preview (The viewer can too); printing gave a black image (and there goes a bit of toner, hehe). Though the Black Image did print quickly.

I opened it in Photoshop and selected scale to fit as the only adjustment and in 16-20 seconds it printed.

Maybe I should image-copy my HDD to their system.
    Last edited by Methedor; 02-24-2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: a bit of humor