Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Mp c4503 Printing slow

Re: Mp c4503 Printing slow

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions...its not on wsd...it is on tcp/ip
    I assume that you've double-checked that?
    I've set up lots of machines on TCP/IP, and then Windows update comes along and re-enables 'automatic setup of network devices', and re-installs the device on the WSD instead.
    Just saying....

I've only just recently started getting smart, and started disabling the WSD devices in the WIM

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I assume that you've double-checked that?
    I've set up lots of machines on TCP/IP, and then Windows update comes along and re-enables 'automatic setup of network devices', and re-installs the device on the WSD instead.
    Just saying....

I've only just recently started getting smart, and started disabling the WSD devices in the WIM
    I have a ton of suggestions as to what "WSD" should stand for, but none of them are fit to print.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Mp c4503 Printing slow

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    I have a ton of suggestions as to what "WSD" should stand for, but none of them are fit to print.
    Web Services for Devices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Services_for_Devices

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Mp c4503 Printing slow

The poster initially asked could Firmware be the issue? My first reaction to any printing issue is yes, check when version you currently have installed.

update all the firmware before trouble shooting.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Alright y'all...I tried just about every one of these suggestions to no avail. Postscript driver actually made things worse.
    After trying all this I plugged my personal laptop into their network and still printed slow... Then, using a switch I connected directly to the mpc with an Ethernet cable and sure enough it printed right away.

So it seems to be something with their server... From what I researched most of the time people are having this issue when connected to a server. Idk though... Still seems strange

Folks, just had this issue again yesterday, the solution is included in bits and pieces of the other replies (always great info here). Here is a synopsis of ALL the steps I've had to go through to ensure print speed is optimal.

1. Check printer port and make sure TCP/IP port that matches the IP address of machine (underscores after IP are okay) is checked. Often see WSD port checked, which causes slow printing.

2. Check print driver and make sure driver is MPC4503 PCL6 (if PS is not installed on machine) or MPC4503 PS3 (if machine has PS installed). I stay away from Universal print drivers completely.

3. I generally download the current driver and do a fresh new install of printer as a rule if slow printing is present, but certainly if machine was assigned to WSD port. The driver on one of the PC's assigned to WSD was version 1.1.0.0. Driver I downloaded was version 1.4.0.0. You can find your version on the Windows test page. Don't know what version of driver gets loaded when doing an auto-discover/PNP install, but it seems insufficient and nearly all print speed complaints are from Windows 10 auto-configure installs.

4. Couple tips when loading printer - when searching for printer, immediately click "the printer I want to use isn't listed", then uncheck "query the printer..." box and select TCP/IP printer using the IP address. Lastly, check "replace current driver" and browse to your downloaded driver folder.

5. Any print file should be saved locally (I train folks to save file to desktop), then printed, so you are using local print protocols and the local driver. In other words, keep it to what you can control and explain. Printing from within a mail server or from a website adds degree of difficulty to printing that we often aren't able to support.

6. Make sure you open and print file from the best possible program for the print file. For example, Windows 10 wants to open .PDF in Microsoft Edge (indicated by e-PDF or some similar derivative), who knows how Edge manipulates us. Open the .PDF in Acrobat Reader, as most techs and IT are well familiar with that.

7. Print as image box should be checked as a test for .PDF files that print slowly. If there is marked speed improvement when box is checked, the print file likely has embedded data that must be translated by machine controller. This could be the case in Excel, Word, PP, and Adobe Pro or Photoshop. Similar to anti-virus or drug testing of athletes, the ability of the MFP to translate up-to-date and complex embedded print media is dependent on firmware that is usually lagging months behind. Thus, print as image bypasses the embedded info IF that is causing the issue.

8. Lastly, hook up laptop directly to the MFP and print their job if not proprietary or confidential, hopefully you can x-fer job to SD Card or thumb drive to accomplish this. Or print 25 pages of .PDF from a service manual from your laptop then do likewise from their local PC to compare and contrast print speed of the network. At this point, doing this is only to gauge the network impact on print speed, but the real causes in my opinion are the steps above. This step is only for folks who want instant gratification you only get by hooking laptop up directly.

Sorry if this is redundant or too wordy. And if some of my opinions above on WHY are inaccurate, my apologies.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Alright y'all...I tried just about every one of these suggestions to no avail. Postscript driver actually made things worse.
    After trying all this I plugged my personal laptop into their network and still printed slow... Then, using a switch I connected directly to the mpc with an Ethernet cable and sure enough it printed right away.

So it seems to be something with their server... From what I researched most of the time people are having this issue when connected to a server. Idk though... Still seems strange
    Just to add to the "it's their server thing". Print a printer test page from your laptop, which printed fast, then from their server and compare all the files listed. Showing them the test pages with all the extra or lacking files should help convince them its on their end.
    Kyocera used to have an undelete utility that would uninstall print drivers and find any extra dlls or orphan files associated with a driver.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Mp c4503 Printing slow

Hi,I have had this loads on this machine, lower the Resolution down one in the print settings in the Printer System, next to test. It will whizz then. It over rides any of the settings the customer has set which is probably highest DPI and Bit rate.

Hope thats helps.

Tim

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Mp c4503 Printing slow

Quote Originally Posted by brt315 View Post
    Folks, just had this issue again yesterday, the solution is included in bits and pieces of the other replies (always great info here). Here is a synopsis of ALL the steps I've had to go through to ensure print speed is optimal.

1. Check printer port and make sure TCP/IP port that matches the IP address of machine (underscores after IP are okay) is checked. Often see WSD port checked, which causes slow printing.

2. Check print driver and make sure driver is MPC4503 PCL6 (if PS is not installed on machine) or MPC4503 PS3 (if machine has PS installed). I stay away from Universal print drivers completely.

3. I generally download the current driver and do a fresh new install of printer as a rule if slow printing is present, but certainly if machine was assigned to WSD port. The driver on one of the PC's assigned to WSD was version 1.1.0.0. Driver I downloaded was version 1.4.0.0. You can find your version on the Windows test page. Don't know what version of driver gets loaded when doing an auto-discover/PNP install, but it seems insufficient and nearly all print speed complaints are from Windows 10 auto-configure installs.

4. Couple tips when loading printer - when searching for printer, immediately click "the printer I want to use isn't listed", then uncheck "query the printer..." box and select TCP/IP printer using the IP address. Lastly, check "replace current driver" and browse to your downloaded driver folder.

5. Any print file should be saved locally (I train folks to save file to desktop), then printed, so you are using local print protocols and the local driver. In other words, keep it to what you can control and explain. Printing from within a mail server or from a website adds degree of difficulty to printing that we often aren't able to support.

6. Make sure you open and print file from the best possible program for the print file. For example, Windows 10 wants to open .PDF in Microsoft Edge (indicated by e-PDF or some similar derivative), who knows how Edge manipulates us. Open the .PDF in Acrobat Reader, as most techs and IT are well familiar with that.

7. Print as image box should be checked as a test for .PDF files that print slowly. If there is marked speed improvement when box is checked, the print file likely has embedded data that must be translated by machine controller. This could be the case in Excel, Word, PP, and Adobe Pro or Photoshop. Similar to anti-virus or drug testing of athletes, the ability of the MFP to translate up-to-date and complex embedded print media is dependent on firmware that is usually lagging months behind. Thus, print as image bypasses the embedded info IF that is causing the issue.

8. Lastly, hook up laptop directly to the MFP and print their job if not proprietary or confidential, hopefully you can x-fer job to SD Card or thumb drive to accomplish this. Or print 25 pages of .PDF from a service manual from your laptop then do likewise from their local PC to compare and contrast print speed of the network. At this point, doing this is only to gauge the network impact on print speed, but the real causes in my opinion are the steps above. This step is only for folks who want instant gratification you only get by hooking laptop up directly.

Sorry if this is redundant or too wordy. And if some of my opinions above on WHY are inaccurate, my apologies.
    9. Ensure ALL fw files are kept up to date this also makes a big difference
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk