Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Mp c4503 Printing slow

4503 printing PDFs very very slow... Everything else seems to print fine. Firmware?? Do you know if there is something this machine needs to print PDFs efficiently? 3mb size file took about 3 minutes to print. Correct driver is installed

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Mp c4503 Printing slow

Re: Mp c4503 Printing slow

Most likely configured using WSD port rather than TCP/IP. It's almost always the case.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Things I have seen cause slow printing:

1. Print server where lazy it staff does 'new driver' on old printer instead of 'new printer'. Fixed by bypassing print server by adding printer to local workstation with tcp/ip port. Or if you can move a mountain and get their it to completely delete the printer and recreate the printer.

2. Byte counting enabled on tcp/up port. Fixed by disabling byte counting

3. Already listed, print as image thing.

4. Extra protocols slowing down network. Disable appletalk, bonjour, or ipv6 if possible. Sometimes disabling snmp or smb can help too.

4. Excel files printing slow. Open taskmanager and watch the spooler memory usage and then print the job. If it jumps to 5x the size or more the excel file has extra data and formulas. Fixed by deleting last sheet or extra formulas if you can find them, or just copying all the data into a new excel spreadsheet.

5. Rare, but a failing HDD on the printer can do it too. Try formatting it first to see if it improves. If it does I'd replace it.

6. Customer has virus or spyware. Do a disk cleanip and delete files.

In my experience it's mostly on their end. Firmware update, replacing HDD, and disabling protocols is just for show.
    Gl

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Thanks for the suggestions...its not on wsd...it is on tcp/ip
    Yes they are on a server but this particular one i set up on the individual computer using tcp/ip as a new printer with a new driver and still super slow from adobe acrobat pro dc

As for the print as image and all the other protocols I will check all of those and let you know what i found to work (if hopefully any). thank you

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

one thing that i fine if printing from a web page or a pdf if you save it to computer it will print fine. there might be something like a banner running and doesn't know what to do. also look at print file see how big it is will also help see why it is taking a long time. some time developer of web page trying to protect for copyright will put a big font or something to make file big. That why if you save it will take that part out.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COPIERMAN View Post
    one thing that i fine if printing from a web page or a pdf if you save it to computer it will print fine. there might be something like a banner running and doesn't know what to do. also look at print file see how big it is will also help see why it is taking a long time. some time developer of web page trying to protect for copyright will put a big font or something to make file big. That why if you save it will take that part out.
    Basically I am in the customers email...open an email and there is a pdf attachment that says right next to the file name (3mb)...I open it, hit print...and a five page document takes about 3 minutes to print.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

had a client same thing but once she save it then printed it was a lot faster. never know how they created pdf sometimes that is part of the problem.

bluedevils477

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Basically I am in the customers email...open an email and there is a pdf attachment that says right next to the file name (3mb)...I open it, hit print...and a five page document takes about 3 minutes to print.

did you ever figure out a solution, I have the same issue.

4.5MB file
    Adobe Reader DC
    Windows 7 32-bit

Tried PCL 6 (universal and MPC4503), PCL 5 I have had no luck at all. I am currently updating my last firmware and will test after.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Mp c4503 Printing slow

On those ocasions, one of the first things I do is trying to print the file with another PDF reader (SumatraPDF is my favourite). If it does print faster, then I throw them the ball and explain the problem is with Acrobat - probably an update. Moreso if it happens in some computers and others print fine.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Mp c4503 Printing slow

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    download the pdf then print it