Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    SP 6330n  SC 542 error

SP 6330n SC 542 error

First let me say hello to all the printer techs out there.
    I am 95% a copier repair guy...mostly Ricoh.

I have a customer that has a SP 6330n.
    It has had 2 SC542 errors in the last year.
    The fuser has 5500 prints on it...not really very many.

I took a copy of the service manual with me and had one heck of a time getting into "service mode".
    I had page 77 of the manual open and tried to follow the odd instructions:
    "Enter the program mode as explained above." Except it wasn't "explained above" or anywhere else I could find in the manual.
    There was a pic "above" but even it was not very good at explaining how to get in.

What's the correct way to enter "service Mode" on these printers.

Please PM me with any help.

Thanks
    Jeff in STL

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SP 6330n  SC 542 error

Re: SP 6330n SC 542 error

There are 2 methods for entering SP mode on most Ricoh printers. It used to be in the service manual but not any longer. The following is from the manual for the CL7000:

SYSTEM Ver Ver.
    1.Service

Method 1: Turn the machine on while pressing the On Line key and Escape key together until the above message in the illustration appears on the display.
    NOTE: If you switch the machine off, any jobs stored on the hard disk using the sample print and protected print features will be deleted. Check first with the user tools to see if there are any jobs stored with these features(Menu key - Sample Print, or Protected Print).
    Method 2: Press the Up/Down arrow keys together for about 5 seconds, then press the Enter key. The above message shown in the illustration appears on the display.

NOTE: The machine automatically goes off line when you enter the service program mode.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    SP 6330n  SC 542 error

"Method 2: Press the Up/Down arrow keys together for about 5 seconds, then press the Enter key. The above message shown in the illustration appears on the display."

This a simple 2 line display and the manual sorta matches up with your Method 2.

Question is: Do I let off the Up/Down buttons before or after pressing the Enter key?

Silly thing is when I went to clear the SC542 error I got in using Method 2 style. I had to try 2-3 times before it let me in.
    But after clearing the code...I've never been able to get back to the Service Mode.
    Tried for 15 minutes and gave up...not sure exactly how I got in the first time...LOL.

Jeff

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    "Method 2: Press the Up/Down arrow keys together for about 5 seconds, then press the Enter key. The above message shown in the illustration appears on the display."

This a simple 2 line display and the manual sorta matches up with your Method 2.

Question is: Do I let off the Up/Down buttons before or after pressing the Enter key?

Silly thing is when I went to clear the SC542 error I got in using Method 2 style. I had to try 2-3 times before it let me in.
    But after clearing the code...I've never been able to get back to the Service Mode.
    Tried for 15 minutes and gave up...not sure exactly how I got in the first time...LOL.

Jeff
    They are really picky about it. For me holding up and down arrows for a good five seconds then hitting OK after letting go seems to work best. And by best I meant it's still about 50/50.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SP 6330n  SC 542 error

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtrooper View Post
    They are really picky about it. For me holding up and down arrows for a good five seconds then hitting OK after letting go seems to work best. And by best I meant it's still about 50/50.
    That's why I always go for 8 to 10 seconds. And hope that one of the keys isn't flaky.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    SP 6330n  SC 542 error

Got it! Thanks for the replies.

I'm headed back there this morning to replace the fuser...continues to throw SC542's after being reset.
    Usually takes a day or 2 then error's out again.

thanks

Jeff

Senior Tech 250+ Posts kannuki2's Avatar

So whats the fix for sc542? New machine?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SP 6330n  SC 542 error

Repair or replace the fusing unit. Then clear the code. Enter engine SP mode 5810 and press "#". When 'execute' is displayed, press "#" again. Then press 'Escape'. Then turn the main power off/on.