Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Ricoh pro 5100c booklet finisher problem

we installed a brand new pro 5100c 4 weeks back. no fiery its on a print server and shared out to about 20 pc.s. it has the correct driver and latest firmware.
    It has a finisher SR4130.

The customer is sending a 50 page a4 booklet using a3 paper 80 gram centre staples. (which is 13 sheets of a3) the machine is suppose to manage 60 sheets.

there problem:
    it does 19 pages of the 50 page job folds and centre staples as a booklet
    then it does a 2nd booklet for the rest of the pages

I was wondering is there an SP you can use or any other ideas?

help would be very much appreciated

Ben

Re: Ricoh pro 5100c booklet finisher problem

Have you witnessed the problem personally?

Is it possible that the user has chosen Perfect Binding, where several stapled booklets are meant to be glued together as a book?

Usually...if there is a too many/too thick booklet problem, you get no stapling or folding.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I have yet to see a booklet finisher with a staple and fold capacity more than 20 sheets. The 60 sheet specification is for the main stapler, not the saddle stitch stapler.

Even the Plockmatic Booklet Maker is limited to 30 sheets of 80gsm paper.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I have yet to see a booklet finisher with a staple and fold capacity more than 20 sheets. The 60 sheet specification is for the main stapler, not the saddle stitch stapler.

Don’t know about 4130 but 4110 has limit of 20 sheets folded which means that it should handle we sheets easily.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post

Hi Guys
    firstly thanks for you replies so far!

sorry Slimslob... i ment to put 60 page booklet not 60 sheets.

ive been back out to them and done some more test idea,s but get the same result

1. i asked the user to show me what settings do they select to do there job (50 page a4 booklet)
    - portrait > colour > copies 1 > document size a4 > print on a3 > paper input tray Tray 2 a3 > paper type plain & recycled > magazine > centre staple
    tested : still just uses just 10 sheets of a3 centre staples does another booklet 3 sheets centre staples to complete the whole job

2. i tried a setting in user tools - tray priority > set it to DRIVER command as it was on machine command (used this before to overide paper mismatch issues
    tested: still same pronlem

3. i tried using the copier side 25 sheets of a4 in df > 2 sided > select a3 > magazine > centre staple - Panel message come up - Stapling Capacity Exceeded press cont to staple in a batch > press ok > does 2 booklets again
    - for some reason it will only use 10 sheets max for a3

all at sea with this one. we are a Ricoh dealer for North Wales + north west and trying to get anywhere with calling ricoh is a nightmare.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Ben View Post
    Hi Guys
    firstly thanks for you replies so far!

sorry Slimslob... i ment to put 60 page booklet not 60 sheets.
    60 page booklet would be 30 sheets which is more than 20 sheets. Even a 50 page booklet is still 25 sheets which greater than 20. If the customer needs to make booklets in the 42 to 60 page range, they need a Plockmatic. If they to make anything larger than 60 pages, it is a book not a booklet. They would need to either manually spiral bind it or purchase either a Ring Binder or a Perfect Binder.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

60 A4 pages, 4 to a duplex A3 sheet = 15 sheets.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Angry Re: Ricoh pro 5100c booklet finisher problem

Davel

yes thats correct. 50page a4 booklet is 13 sheets of a3 paper. i always normally divided the booklet page amount by 4. If the booklet amount starts with an odd number then i round the answer up to the nearest

So this finisher should handle a 60 page a4 booklet as well but after 10 a3 go through it folds and staples it

I ran across this issue this week. I spent 4 days digging into this and the problem is indeed the finisher. This applies to the SR4100 and the SR4130 as I tested the same files on both finishers (Running a 5110s and a 5200s). No matter what, when the users would print booklets 11 x 17 folded and saddle stitched, we get an error stating " Exceeded Maximum number of papers. Cannot Staple. Press restart to ...etc" . I got the same error on both engines, and both Fierys (E22b and E22c). No matter what i tried nothing worked but I got the same result, which was any print jobs that were 40 pages or less (10 sheets of paper), everything worked perfectly. The minute you exceed 10 sheets, or 40 pages, you get the error. I finally called Ricoh and their answer was, "The spec is correct. When you fold 10 sheets of paper after it is stapled, it becomes 20". I couldn't believe my ears. Seriously? Unless Ricoh support was lying, then there is no fix. This is, in my opinion, blatant, outright, deceptive false advertisement. The spec clearly says saddle stitch staple capacity, 20 sheets. Nope.

The only fix is, get a Xerox because I ran the same jobs of booklets on a color C60 that were 60 pages and they flew right out perfectly on the first try.

Service mode- Peripheral - Extras - Increase Staple and Fold capacity by 30 if I remember. Used it for a slightly larger job with a higher gsm with 0 issues.