Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Scan to folder windows 10

Just did one today that we uninstalled McAfee and the software wanted a reboot. Customer's IT did not want to do a reboot yet. Long story short scans would not work until the reboot was done to completely remove McAfee files.

Enabling SMB V1 within Windows does fix scan issue's but use with caution because of the Cry Me malware. Sometimes this maybe the only thing to do as after a firmware upgrade SMB V2/V3 may not be enabled or the manufacture just may not support V2/V3 for an older machine.

Email is great until protocols are changed at the email server. Depending on what it is the copier may not support it. Like different ports, SSL/TLS or STARTTLS. Most copiers in the past 3 years, at least, should have no problems with current email servers.

Most customer's IT, in my experience, do not like FTP as they feel it is not secure. It can be made to be secure. I'm just not a fan as it is another piece of software to deal with. It works and I have used it in a pinch.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to folder windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Just wanted to share some things I've found out about this thread since I last visited it.

Checking the box for SMB 1.0 in programs and features has been solving a good deal of computers...

However.... What I found out that was causing most of the issues was McAfee.

Of course I always check anti virus software and if they have it I'll simply add the IP address so it allows it through. The issue though was what is happening is when people are downloading Adobe reader free version... Unless they uncheck the box upon install, it automatically downloads a McAfee security scan plus to the computer, and even though they don't have an active subscription, or even a place to configure firewall settings, it was still the issue. Whenever I uninstalled that, boom....it worked!

Hope this helps someone!
    McAfee is a problem waiting to happen. The first time it sees anything either incoming or outgoing that is not already on its allow list it will popup a warning and asking whether or not you wish to allow it. Too many people click block without even reading what they are blocking. Once blocked it remains blocked until you access the McAfee setup as an administer,need to know the password to clear the block. If you are away from your computer when the popup appears, such as at the MFP doing a scan to folder, it will time out and block automatically. I had a customer call once that one of their employees could not print. They had just installed McAfee on that computer. The employee had clicked block without reading. Net result was that it blocked all TCP/IP printing. It was a bankruptcy law office. Luckily the attorney was not in court at the time and had the McAfee password.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Exclamation Re: Scan to folder windows 10

Once had a customer blaming our MFD for causing thier server to crash (blue screen of death) every time they scanned and they wanted finanical compensation for the downtime.

The root cause turned out to be McAfee's.

It was a documented KB on the McAfee support website for a windows update they had installed.

Politely told them to get stuffed, not a fault with our machine or our problem to rectify and they will be charged for the time I spent investigating the matter.
    Last edited by Cipher; 03-29-2018 at 05:59 AM.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I'm revisiting this thread due to a circumstance that I just encountered that took me more time to resolve than it probably should have- but that's the way things stick in your head, so all is not lost .

While I stated earlier in this thread that I've never personally had a problem scanning to Win10 Home, I did today when I was refurbishing an MP4002. It's the first time I've had access to the F/W to support SMB V2/3 scanning.

I first tested scanning on my laptop with SMB1 and it worked fine but I couldn't get it to work at all after disabling it. The scanner would immediately hang in a "waiting" state.

The laptop I carry around is just Win 10 Home, and after a lot of trial and error trying to get it to work, I brought my other laptop to my shop with Win10 Pro and it worked fine, so it would seem that scanning to Win10 Home is definitely and issue with the updated Version of SMB.

I thought this info might help someone else down the road.

Cheers!

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Port 445 still open but i cannot connect (Use shared drive)

Hello
    I'm having a weird problem.
    Two day ago my customer inform me that cannot use shared drive at their office.
    This is my system environment to test this problem.

This check list that i passed it but still not solved problem.

• No Active Directory Domain , simple workgroup sharing
    • Turn off all both firewall on client and server
    • Turn on File and Printer Sharing on on Change advanced sharing settings section on all network profiles
    • Turn on Network discovery on Change advanced sharing setting section on all network profiles
    • Turn on 139 and 445 port
    • Turn off Nod32 and Windows Defender antivirus on Server
    • Disabled IPv6 on both Server and Client
    • Turn on File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network on both Server and Client

This is my confused

• i can ping together
    • i can use remote desktop or telnet from 192.168.56.101 to Server
    • i can use remote desktop or telnet from 192.168.100.101 to Server
    • i can access share drive via typing \\127.0.0.1 or \\SERVER-PC (Server's name) on Server
    • i can't access share drive via typing \\192.168.100.10 or \\192.168.56.1 on Server

• i can telnet via typing 127.0.0.1 445 on Server
    • i can't telnet via typing 192.168.100.10 445 or 192.168.56.1 445 on Server

Any help will appreciate
    Thank you

Try this
    sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
    sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto
    I believe port 445 is disabled by default on win10-home addition software.
    The above was cut and paste from following website :
    Use the information at your own discretion.

Port 445 still open but i cannot connect (Use shared drive) - Windows 10 Forums
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Use filezilla server and be done with this call

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Use filezilla server and be done with this call
    Depending on the customer FTP may not always be the answer. If done make sure the customer knows this is being done. For whatever reason they may have a policy against FTP or and software that may not be approved by who ever is in charge of the network or computers. This is why most copiers have multiple ways of scanning. One of them will generally work.

There are some windows computers that for whatever reason just will not work with SMB.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mincopier View Post
    Depending on the customer FTP may not always be the answer. If done make sure the customer knows this is being done. For whatever reason they may have a policy against FTP or and software that may not be approved by who ever is in charge of the network or computers. This is why most copiers have multiple ways of scanning. One of them will generally work.

There are some windows computers that for whatever reason just will not work with SMB.
    On a major account never ever install any software on one of their computers without the approval from their corporate IT. It can cost you a customer.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    On a major account never ever install any software on one of their computers without the approval from their corporate IT. It can cost you a customer.

or even your job

Love it when NON IT guys comment on networking, that Don't know crap about networking!