Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Scan to folder windows 10

I have to say ever since this thread started its ridiculous the amount of computers i have run into that i have needed to check the box for smb 1.0 on the programs and features part of the computer...so i am very thankful i figured that out.

However, that being said, could someone tell me what happens when you check that box to turn on smb 1.0? I still work largely with the MP 201 and MP CXX01 series so they are a bit older....and i don't want to turn something on on a customers computer that could be a security risk. I always communicate with the customer and ask them but to be honest they don't even know what that is and i can't explain it to them.

Is there anything wrong that could happen when turning smb 1 on?

Still have a lot to learn about computers Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    I have to say ever since this thread started its ridiculous the amount of computers i have run into that i have needed to check the box for smb 1.0 on the programs and features part of the computer...so i am very thankful i figured that out.

However, that being said, could someone tell me what happens when you check that box to turn on smb 1.0? I still work largely with the MP 201 and MP CXX01 series so they are a bit older....and i don't want to turn something on on a customers computer that could be a security risk. I always communicate with the customer and ask them but to be honest they don't even know what that is and i can't explain it to them.

Turning SMB V1 back on you may expose the computer to unwanted Malware. Turning this on ANY customers PC opens you and your company for legal problems down the road. As this was a MS security update NOT Recommended

Used filezilla server or scan to email or update firmware on machine to support smb 2 or 3

Windows 10 tip: Stop using the horribly insecure SMBv1 protocol | ZDNet

Most likely after a future MS 10 update that feature as well as smb1 will be removed and permanently disable

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    Turning SMB V1 back on you may expose the computer to unwanted Malware. Turning this on ANY customers PC opens you and your company for legal problems down the road. As this was a MS security update NOT Recommended

Used filezilla server or scan to email or update firmware on machine to support smb 2 or 3

Windows 10 tip: Stop using the horribly insecure SMBv1 protocol | ZDNet

Most likely after a future MS 10 update that feature as well as smb1 will be removed and permanently disable
    Ok gotcha...i just read an article from ricoh addressing this issue. I see though that there is a firmware update to address this on the Metis C1 series, mp 301, and mp c305...but i do not see a firmware update to support smb 2 or 3 for the 201's or the mp cxx01 series...do you know if that is available or not?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

To hammer home the point of not using SMB1 anymore, here's the blog posting from my buddy Ned Pyle, who manages the Storage and file sharing team at Microsoft: Stop using SMB1 | Storage at Microsoft

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Scan to folder windows 10

Ok gotcha...i just read an article from ricoh addressing this issue. I see though that there is a firmware update to address this on the Metis C1 series, mp 301, and mp c305...but i do not see a firmware update to support smb 2 or 3 for the 201's or the mp cxx01 series...do you know if that is available or not?
    Not yet as far as I know. Ricoh is in the process of writing firmware for older models if possible. Possibility is based on the model and age of the GW processor. There are a couple of knowledge base documents that might help.

With the correct network configuration you might be able to get it to work. The key for me has been that the customer has to have a local domain, the MFP must be a member of the domain, you must be scanning by destination name and the destination must be domain file server. All the troubles I have had since the first Microsoft update to block Wanna Cry from coming in on SMB sent files traced to only a couple of problems:
    1. Not being member of the domain due to domain name not correct in network settings. Check missing or incorrect .com, .net, .org, .local etc.
    2. None of the DNS servers are a domain DNS, this prevents proper destination name resolution.
    3. Scanning to IP address. This is the result of #2 above or a tech who does not like NetBIOS name resolution.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

as I hate sitting on customers pcs for extended time especially when i am not getting paid to do it I have had great success using a program called scan to pdf and the twain driver for that model.
    You can pick where to save and customer can edit name and attach as an email if so desired..

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Batman1976's Avatar

Hello,

Had same issue a while ago. Basically older Ricoh's simply won't scan to Windows 10 without a firmware update, old old models just won't scan to WIN 10 at all. Also worth barring in mind that newer Ricoh's will not Scan to Windows XP due to security features.

Cheers