Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Scan to folder windows 10

Ok...so i just ran into this problem...never have had much issues with setting up scan to folder smb with ricohs...

I first saw it on installing an sp c242sf at a customers office. One windows 10 computer scanned just fine...the other, for the life of me i could not get it. I checked and double checked username/password, firmware, antivirus software, network connection, firewalls...couldn't get it. The only thing i noticed different on this particular computer that i couldn't setup was when i went to share the scan folder...instead of it saying "share with" when i right clicked it to share...it said "give access to"...sure, pretty much the same thing and i am not saying this is the issue. But here is what i noticed...

Gave up on that computer...customer didn't really need it that bad anyways...went back to the office.

I have an mp c4501 that i use in my office...always prints and scans to my windows 10.

I did a complete factory reset of my computer for unrelated issues a couple of days ago...wiped everything and started fresh like a brand new computer from the store.

When i went to re-setup everything...i noticed now my computer also said "give access to" instead of "share with" and guess what...now i can't scan from my mp c4501...and i have no clue why..

My guess is it is a new feature in windows?? Something with a windows update??

my system now says Windows 10 Home.....64 bit ( Which i believe is what is was before but not certain)

Anyone have any clues as to why i can't scan?? my mp c4501 just sits at 99% for awhile until it says connection has failed.

and yes...firmware is up to date
    Thanks in advance

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: Scan to folder windows 10

Ricoh tech support told me Ricoh mfp would not scan to win 10 home edition. so it confuses me if you were able to before.

you may need to check to see if smb1 is turned on in windows. i'm not sure about the access/share thing tho.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

specifically windows 10 "home" edition?

So windows 10 pro would be fine?

I tried the smb1...no go

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Ok...so i just ran into this problem...never have had much issues with setting up scan to folder smb with ricohs...

I first saw it on installing an sp c242sf at a customers office. One windows 10 computer scanned just fine...the other, for the life of me i could not get it. I checked and double checked username/password, firmware, antivirus software, network connection, firewalls...couldn't get it. The only thing i noticed different on this particular computer that i couldn't setup was when i went to share the scan folder...instead of it saying "share with" when i right clicked it to share...it said "give access to"...sure, pretty much the same thing and i am not saying this is the issue. But here is what i noticed...

Gave up on that computer...customer didn't really need it that bad anyways...went back to the office.

I have an mp c4501 that i use in my office...always prints and scans to my windows 10.

I did a complete factory reset of my computer for unrelated issues a couple of days ago...wiped everything and started fresh like a brand new computer from the store.

When i went to re-setup everything...i noticed now my computer also said "give access to" instead of "share with" and guess what...now i can't scan from my mp c4501...and i have no clue why..

My guess is it is a new feature in windows?? Something with a windows update??

my system now says Windows 10 Home.....64 bit ( Which i believe is what is was before but not certain)

Anyone have any clues as to why i can't scan?? my mp c4501 just sits at 99% for awhile until it says connection has failed.

and yes...firmware is up to date
    Thanks in advance

When you restored your machine did you first get an option to "download updated install files" or the like?
    Or after the install did you run Windows update?
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post

When you restored your machine did you first get an option to "download updated install files" or the like?
    Or after the install did you run Windows update?
    I don't remember doing either...you think updates will solve it?

I have a hard time believing that it wont scan to any windows 10 home edition...i am almost positive i have several customers that i have set them up with windows 10 home...all though not 100%

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    specifically windows 10 "home" edition?

So windows 10 pro would be fine?

I tried the smb1...no go

yea, they told me home specifically, i havent tried yet, so i cant verify that one. all of ours have been versions above home.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LNorris View Post
    yea, they told me home specifically, i havent tried yet, so i cant verify that one. all of ours have been versions above home.
    Ok well i guess i will upgrade to pro and see what happens...glad it happened to me actually, now ill be able to know for my customers.

Thanks

It is usually the security updates that stop SMB scanning working so you doing a system restore will put it back prior to updates.

Wont harm you to take all win updates as a test.

You can also buy licence upgrades online for peanuts now, so you can go from home to pro simply by changing the key.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I believe on brand new computers or clean install of Windows 10 SMB V1 is disabled by default. Most Ricoh's cannot do SMB V2/V3 with out a firmware upgrade or changing some switches through Telnet. To check SMB V1:
    Control panel
    Programs and Features
    Turn windows features off/on
    Look for SMB V1 and check the tick box if it is not

The computer will then add the option and ask for a reboot. Of course the best thing to do is update the firmware of the machine, if it supports SMB V2/V3. After the update these will be enabled by default. If SMB V1 is turned on the machine will try V3 then V2 then V1.

Just looked at the Ricoh tech site and saw nothing about this machine supporting SMB V2/V3 even with a firmware update. Make sure SMB V1 is enabled on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by mincopier View Post
    I believe on brand new computers or clean install of Windows 10 SMB V1 is disabled by default. Most Ricoh's cannot do SMB V2/V3 with out a firmware upgrade or changing some switches through Telnet. To check SMB V1:
    Control panel
    Programs and Features
    Turn windows features off/on
    Look for SMB V1 and check the tick box if it is not

The computer will then add the option and ask for a reboot. Of course the best thing to do is update the firmware of the machine, if it supports SMB V2/V3. After the update these will be enabled by default. If SMB V1 is turned on the machine will try V3 then V2 then V1.

Just looked at the Ricoh tech site and saw nothing about this machine supporting SMB V2/V3 even with a firmware update. Make sure SMB V1 is enabled on the computer.

Thats correct there is no smb2/3 firmware update for this old 4501.

Go to programs, add/remove windows features see that SMB1 is checked (this is on by default)