Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    SPC831DN fuser past 330k, is there a fix?

Hello everyone,
    I'm a pretty seasoned Ricoh copier tech, but have limited knowledge of the Ricoh printer line.

My old church has a SPC831DN that they tried to squeeze every copy/print from and exceeded the 330K max limit.
    They then went out and purchased a fuser and transfer unit (who knows where from, but probably from ebay or Craig's List knowing them) and installed them only to learn that they are locked out of the unit.

It currently has an error message to "replace transfer unit and fusing unit".

Before I even go out to look at this I'd like to know if there is a fix for this? What that might entail? And the time involved?

I do have a service manual for this unit.

Thanks
    Jeff in STL

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: SPC831DN fuser past 330k, is there a fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I'm a pretty seasoned Ricoh copier tech, but have limited knowledge of the Ricoh printer line.

My old church has a SPC831DN that they tried to squeeze every copy/print from and exceeded the 330K max limit.
    They then went out and purchased a fuser and transfer unit (who knows where from, but probably from ebay or Craig's List knowing them) and installed them only to learn that they are locked out of the unit.

Before I even go out to look at this I'd like to know if there is a fix for this? What that might entail? And the time involved?

Thanks
    Jeff in STL
    hmmmmmm..
    did you at least look thru the manual?????

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thanks
    Jeff in STL
    all the steps are in the service manual... maintanence counter reset

Reset maintenance kit counter? : printers

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I was told that after 330K the unit will not respond to a counter reset.
    But that it would have to have a "new" fusing unit to reset the counters.

I have read the reset counters procedure but with the above thought in mind and the fact that the customer is 2 hours away from me, I am being extra careful and trying not to have a call back in a few days. I believe they probably purchased a used fuser and that did not reset the counter when installed.

If they have installed a decent "used" fuser I would consider resetting the counters for them...But the question is, will that reset the over 330K counter as well.

Jeff

Retired 10,000+ Posts

If i t requires a new fusing to reset it, that means that somewhere on the fusing unit is a fuse that tells the machine itis "new".

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

As stated above read the service manual, you can either reset the counter or simply disable the PM warning for PCDU, Fuser & Transfer unit (as I do on my SPC range) you can then monitor the parts visually & by test prints etc.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Trusted Tech 250+ Posts Athlontini's Avatar

If you have a brand new fusing sleeve, take the little fuse out of the box that comes with it. When you go out to the client, you can attach this to their "new" fuser to make the machine think it's new. You normally have to do this with certain "high-temp" fuser codes but should get you up and running.

This is assuming that resetting the counters in SP modes doesn't work though.