Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MP 201 FAX set to 9600bps

I had a customer call and say that they need their fax data transmission rate set to 9600bps on their MP 201 to send a fax to a specific client.

I have never messed with this before but found in the SM to go into IP Fax Switch 05 (1-111-006) and change it from 0110 to 0100.

My question is will this mess up the rest of their faxing to their other clients that they have been faxing to all this time? They are a medical office and i don't want them to be hindered in sending faxes as that is probably half of what they do.

Thanks.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP 201 FAX set to 9600bps

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    I had a customer call and say that they need their fax data transmission rate set to 9600bps on their MP 201 to send a fax to a specific client.
    I have never messed with this before but found in the SM to go into IP Fax Switch 05 (1-111-006) and change it from 0110 to 0100.
    My question is will this mess up the rest of their faxing to their other clients that they have been faxing to all this time? They are a medical office and i don't want them to be hindered in sending faxes as that is probably half of what they do. Thanks.
    most times setting a fax to 9600 or lower indicates that they have a VOIP system.. choking speeds down allows the system to 'talk' to the other machine reliably.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    most times setting a fax to 9600 or lower indicates that they have a VOIP system.. choking speeds down allows the system to 'talk' to the other machine reliably.
    Ok so setting the machine to 9600 won't affect their ability to fax to anyone else just slow their faxing process down?

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    Ok so setting the machine to 9600 won't affect their ability to fax to anyone else just slow their faxing process down?
    Correct.. more n more places are going to VOIP so it can tie in to the digital system.. and they save $$ by dropping analog line

Caveat us not always as stable as should be

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

You may want to also turn off ECM in service mode as well. Keeping it on seems to cause more problems than it ever fixes.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Perfect this is just what i needed....i changed it to 9600bps and all is well. Thank you guys for your help

Technician

Changing that changes the speed for ALL faxes, not just the one destination. Think about it, you are changing a system setting not a address book setting.

I could go on and on about VOIP, but I won't here.

Turning off ECM does help some in some cases just as putting tape over your Check Engine light helps. It just masks the issue. ECM is Error Correction Mode, so it corrects errors in the transmission. After too many errors, typically 5% or something like that, it deems the line quality to be to poor and hangs up to try again later. Turning off ECM is just allowing all of the errors to go through and not to attempt to correct them, so basically ignore the errors. Yeah, that's a great fix!

I just love how the telcoms tell you that you need to adjust your baud rate and disable ECM like this is some great technical fix. It's basically saying slow down the machine to 1980 standards and accept all errors because the reliability and quality of our transmissions suxs.

Opps, I just did a bit. Sorry.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ctuinstra View Post
    Changing that changes the speed for ALL faxes, not just the one destination. Think about it, you are changing a system setting not a address book setting.

I could go on and on about VOIP, but I won't here.

Turning off ECM does help some in some cases just as putting tape over your Check Engine light helps. It just masks the issue. ECM is Error Correction Mode, so it corrects errors in the transmission. After too many errors, typically 5% or something like that, it deems the line quality to be to poor and hangs up to try again later. Turning off ECM is just allowing all of the errors to go through and not to attempt to correct them, so basically ignore the errors. Yeah, that's a great fix!

I just love how the telcoms tell you that you need to adjust your baud rate and disable ECM like this is some great technical fix. It's basically saying slow down the machine to 1980 standards and accept all errors because the reliability and quality of our transmissions suxs.

Opps, I just did a bit. Sorry.
    The KEY to all of this is in the name.....

VOICE Over I.P.!! All of the Analog/digital/digital/analog conversion tends to leave little "gaps" and "glitches" that you can actually HEAR sometimes. When you listen to it, you can still understand what the other person is saying.... but if a FAX machine hears one of those glitches, it literally asks, "What the heck was that??"....and often that's when you get your fax failures on VOIP lines.

(OK... so maybe the fax board doesn't ACTUALLY ask, "what was that"....but you get the idea!)