Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Arrow RICOH PAPERBANK TYPE 3800 - strange behaviour!?

Hi Folks,

I'm using a TYPE 3800 Paperbank (2x500 sheets) with my RICOH CL-7200. The printer came originally without this device; I took it from my 'good old' CL-7000 where it functioned very well.

When printing in 600x600 OR 1200x600 dpi, everything works fine. But in b&w and/or duplex-print OR when using other resolutions, the paperbank shows the following behaviour:

When selecting magazine 3 or 4 for paperfeed, the feed-rollers of these magazines won't stop turning after printing, even if the sheet has passed the rollers. Moreover the according motor makes a loud noise while running. Opening the front papertrays won't affect it - merely opening the lower right sidedoor stops it from turning.

Printing more than one sheet results in a paper-jam everytime; printing just one sheet sometimes works, sometimes jams.

Comparing the processing-speed of both machines (CL7000 vs. CL7200) in the Service-Manuals shows up the following result:
    Only in 1200x600 and 600x600 dpi color-print the printers have a similar paper-transport-speed of 125mm per second; all other speeds vary.

So my questions are:
    1. Is this the reason for this strange behaviour?
    2. Are the paperbanks (TYPE 3800 vs. TYPE 7300) compatible? The printer detected Bank 3 and 4 correctly showing the right amount of inserted paper.
    3. If not: Is there a way to change the operating-speed of the feed rollers in magazine 3 and 4?
    4. Anyone here, who's a 3800-Paperbank running on a CL-7200? A trader in Frankfurt checked some of his previously owned devices, telling me that the most of his CL7200 are equipped with the Type 3800- or 7000-Paperbank.

Thanks in advance for answering,
    NewOrder
    Last edited by NewOrder; 12-08-2009 at 03:16 PM.

No solution yet?

Hi, it's me again!

The problem isn't still solved...I would be glad about any small hint...

Thx in advance
    NewOrder

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    These are Compatible with the CL7000
    Paper Feed Unit Type 3800C (500x1)
    Paper Feed Unit Type 3800C (500x2)

the CL7200 uses
    Paper Feed Unit Type 7300 (500x1)
    Paper Feed Unit Type 7300 (500x2)

So yeah your machine may have recognized the paperbank and it may work somewhat the control boards were not designed to work on the newer CL7200

The CL7000 is AGES OLD compared to the CLP128

Hi Vulkor,

thanks for your answer! Your shown facts were my first thoughts. I talked to a service-technician from Minolta at our school. He told me, that a special type of paperbank from Minolta works with two different Minolta printer-models and that one has to change two small gears inside the paperbank to adapt the different transport-speeds.

In addition, I wrote (see my last post), that 'a trader in Frankfurt checked some of his previously owned devices, telling me that the most of his CL7200 are equipped with the Type 3800- and only a few with the -7300-Paperbank'.

Is there a way to get the paperbank to work with the CL-7200?

Thanks in advance,
    NewOrder

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    I would imagine you are looking at a board issue.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    RICOH PAPERBANK TYPE 3800 - strange behaviour!?

Maybe this is possible on a Minolta, but this is a Ricoh box. I hate to state the obvious, but using a paper deck that is actually compatible with your 7200 will save a lot of time and headaches. On the other hand, you can contact your Franfurt trader and ask him the particulars of how he got an old deck to work with a newer model. If he gives you the info, be sure and share it with us.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Today I phoned with my trader in Frankfurt. He never heard of my described problem before, but will install a old 3800er-Paperbank on a 7200 to test its behaviour. He further guessed, that maybe a simple firmware-update on the CL-7200 will fix the problem.

I'll tell you his test-results, stay tuned! :-)

Regards,
    NewOrder