Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    manuel

Aficio CL2000N loud rattle/SC471

Hi All,
    I have an Aficio CL2000N. The good thing is it has been serving a small workgroup for years, without a single paper jam or any problem whatsoever.

The bad thing is, well, it stopped working :-(

When I switch it on, it starts to make a very loud rattling noise. I opened the side cover (the one below the toner cartridges. I can see two motors, when the right one starts turning, the noise starts. I took off that motor, and, as expected, the gears that it is supposed to drive are stuck. So the noise comes from the axle of that motor jumping over the teeth of those gears.

So I took out the transfer belt, which was a hassle. But when it is out, those gears on the other side turn smoothly. To put the transfer belt back, I had to turn the knob below it, because otherwise a little white thing in the back prevents it from sliding in completely. That little white thing is what lets the belt lift against the color PCU I guess. It needs to be positioned correctly for the belt unit to slide in and out smoothly.

So, putting everything together, and starting the printer, I can hear the rattle for a second, but then the machine stops with a SC 471. Powering it off and on again results in a very long rattle like before.

From my understanding, everything points to the belt unit being broken. But I am not an expert, and before I order a new one, I wanted to ask for some advice, maybe someone can help me with a different idea to fix or diagnose.

The printer recently got new PCUs a month ago or so, so they should be fine.

Thanks a lot!
    Manuel

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    I have had a bad rattling/grinding noise and the machine jamming and not imaging properly. These units have a giant Gear Box that drives all the PCU's and transfer. The Black Gear usually gets teeth missing. FYI, its a PAIN in the butt to replace this gear.

Also if you are not the Tech for the machine. Its probably worth replacing it. If you have to pay Labor by the hour this is avg 2-3 hour job just getting the Gear Box out. Requires removing side fans, doors, boards, harness, entire Toner Assembly, Front LCD covering. etc

manuel
    Yeah that sounds like a huge pain. But sounds like having it fixed by a professional will be as expensive as buying a new printer :-(

Do you know if getting to that black gear is covered in the service manual? If so, I would try to dissemble the machine by myself. Even if I am not a printer technician, I should have enough skills as to not break anything. At least with instructions, I hope... We can go some time more without that color printer, and I would like to try to save the money for a repair/new printer.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your hints!

I think the server manual does cover getting to the Gear Box. Just remember what screw went where and how the wires were wrapped.