Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 100+ Posts
    2105 copy quality after dev replacement

This machine is beginning to get on my nerves. Seems like drum blade problems after a run of a few copies, but it has new drum, drum blade, relatively new dev (20k) and after cleaning hoses and pumps - still same problems. Running sky shots seems to help for a few thousand copies, but it's back again. Is there a grounding problem, or perhaps manual adjustment to monitor toner? One more thing: identical machine in different location uses the same toner so it's not a bad batch of toner. Mag rollers are clean, dev gap is .45mm, doctor blade is clean. Drum grounding @ the back? The only temp solution is running sky shots, even though copies don't look overtoned.
    .... any help would be appreciated.

Technician
    I am not clear on the problem. Are you getting lines on copies, grey background. light copies. You need to describe the problem better. You can go into service and print out the SMC report. 5990-4 and have a look and see if there are any non operator service codes in the log. If you are getting any 300 range SC codes that might be the problem with process control. Also I see you did not list the cleaning brush with the new drum and blade. The cleaning bush should be changed every 350k with the blade and charge wires. The drum is good for 700k it is replace at the second PM cycle.

it now looks like a typical drum blade problem - what I had to do was clean it every few thousand of copies, now it's doing it after 3 or 4 copies. Didn't know about the brush, but will do another pm with that replacing dev/drum/brush and corona wire.
    I may also have toner from bad batch...
    What is the dev life on those - 100k?

just one copy?? 500+ Posts

Can u attach an example of your problem?
    Dev life is 350k.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Technician

When you do the pm make sure you check the spring loaded cleaning brush drive in the rear of the machine. They can over time get stuck in when they get dirty. Make sure you clean unit is not backing up that takes away the waste toner. Make sure you have changed the transfer belt and blade at the 600k interval. The brush that is in the transfer unit on the backside will cause a greyish line background when it gets old.

2105.jpg
    I did get SC301 error code once, which points to main charge problem. Disassembled main charge unit to clean and check, ok now - but process control? Quote: "If you are getting any 300 range SC codes that might be the problem with process control" - what's the solution?
    I will replace brush and check the cleaning drive @ rear. Will get the smc report soon.

Technician
    Check service program 3902-1 and check the value. It should be a 1. If it is 0 then process control is off and the machine is running defaults which can screw up the quality. Also check and tell me the value of 3103-3 (vsp) and tell me the value in there. I want to see if you have a bad rear plug on the mainframe or if the quality is just screwed up. Is there a zig zag pattern in the smear. You should see a saw tooth pattern in the smear if it is cause by the cleaning blade. The cleaning blade moves front to back by the cleaning brush drive gears in the front of the pcu. Run the machine with the doors open and the front pcu cover off and check and see if the black gears in the front of the pcu is turning. Some times the gears will strip if the cleaning brush bushings get to much hardened toner in them. If there is no saw tooth pattern in the smearing then it is the fuzzy brush in the transfer unit behind the brown transfer belt. Make sure the transfer belt is not past the 600k pm cycle. If it is I change the transfer belt, transfer cleaning blade, and the fuzzy brush. What I can see in the image I am almost sure it is the brush in the transfer belt assembly that is creating the problem. If all the other items check out and you have no process control SC codes go with the transfer rebuild. Remember get all the toner off the rollers behind the belt. DO NOT GET AND WATER ON THE BRUSH WHEN YOU CLEAN THE ROLLERS. I use water and a green scotch brite pad to clean the rollers. I take the rollers out and clean them with a damp pad.

I had a Ricoh 20105 doing that and i replaced the dev unit and the potential sensor. Fixed the problem.

Technician
    The dev unit can do it if the mag roller scums over. Process error codes in the SMC can tell you if you are getting ID sensor errors.