Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Can't update firmware on Aficio C222SF

Hi Everyone,I am currently trying to update the firmware in my Ricoh Aficio C222SF MFP. I have downloaded the firmware from this location:Firmware Download Page (see bottom of page)When I follow the instructions, and run the Update tool I am met with the message "Can't open Bootloader file. Please check Bootloader file."Here is a screenshot of the Update Tool -If anybody knows how to open the Bootloader in order to proceed with the firmware update please let me know.Kind Regards,Davo

Technician

Re: Can't update firmware on Aficio C222SF

Ok, I have my scalpel and sledge hammer ready -

This Ricoh is about to go in the bin...pity! I will give it one more week, if somebody could please help?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Are you trying to use USB or Network to update the firmware? I don't see an IP address input, so I assume USB? Do you have the proper USB driver installed in order to access the printer in this manor?

I'd suggest doing via network instead. I've always done these updates over a network connection, and have never had a bit of trouble.

Technician

Hi femaster,

I have been connecting by both Network & USB. Each method produces the same error message. I figure that there is probably something wrong with the unit.

Kind Regards,

Davo

It's a possibility that there is a problem with the unit. Are there other problems with it, or were you just proactively updating the firmware?

A bootloader problem is generally PC software related, so I wouldn't necessarily assume that the machine is at fault. Have you tried using a different PC to do the update?

If you want to try it, I can provide you the firmware directly from the Ricoh TSRC website. Both Controller and Engine firmware. I know the Engine firmware is fairly important, as it fixed an issue with excessive color toner usage for those people that printed mostly Black and White pages.

Engine: v350b
    Controller: v167

Let me know if you're interested. Provide an email address via a Private Message.

Technician

Hi femaster,

Your offer of sharing the firmware is a kind one, fortunately another person has been kind enough to share the firmware with me (I posted this message on several forums!). The "engine firmware" upgraded without issue, however I am still seeing the same "Can't open Bootloader file..." message when attempting to update the "controller firmware". With regard to the units general performance I found printing to be very slow, in fact it took 30 - 60 seconds for the printer to output one page of a print job. However once one page started printing the others would follow in a timely fashion. I was printing in black & white only, can you tell me if this is "normal" for this unit? If it is normal I feel for everybody out there who has one of these duds!!!

I have attempted to update the "controller firmware" both through a Windows XP (32 bit) and Windows 7 (64 bit computer), however admittedly I only tried the old firmware version when using XP. I may attempt to install the new "controller firmware" through an XP Virtual Machine (can't be bothered physically moving the printer again given my lack of success with it to date).

If I have a breakthrough I will be sure to keep you in the loop.

Thanks for your assistance.

Kind Regards,

David

The only thing I can think of at this point would be to try to use the update tool from the Engine firmware to do the Controller firmware. Swap out just the "UpdateTool.exe" file, as the remaining files need to stay as is. Maybe there is just something wrong with the file they included in with the Controller firmware. When doing this, choose the update buttons on the left side that indicate F/W Update, not the ones that indicate Eng. F/W Update.

I own the "Printer" version of this machine (SP C222DN), and yes, it does take a little while for the first print job to come out, but only if the machine has been in low-power, or sleep mode. If it's "awake" already, things spit out fast. This is because when it comes out of sleep mode it goes through the process control sequence, as well as warming up the fuser.

With the new engine firmware, you should notice a slight performance increase in the time it takes to get itself ready to print. If you use it often enough, adjust the timer settings to have it stay "awake" longer.

Technician

Great minds think alike. I have already swapped the updater executable to no avail, but again this was in Windows 7. I will also try this in XP!!!

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

When you update the firmware via USB be sure the print driver is installed and that you can print a test page first.

You should have these three files together in a directory.

setting.ini
    v167.brn
    UpdateTool.exe

If you open up the setting.ini in notepad it should read.

Code:
    [SETTING]
    IMAGEFILE=v167.brn
    If that all checks out run the updatetool with admin rights and hopefully it should all work.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Technician

Hi All,

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Here is the closing Chapter in "Ricoh Wars - Return of the Brick"!

I was able to upgrade the firmware from within XP, but only by using the UpdateTool.exe (from the Engine Firware) -

I "should" have been using this UpdateTool.exe -

However the above UpdateTool.exe constantly gave the Boot load error.

All was looking good, the relevant "v167.brn" firmware file uploaded to the Ricoh, after the upload there was a message on the printer saying to reboot.

I rebooted but the printer was then stuck on "Initializing" for hours & hours!!! BRICK!!! After all of the effort put in the Ricoh became a useless 30Kg slug, so my assistant and I diligently carried it to the bin and threw it in.

I won't be going near Ricoh product with a 10 foot poll in future, but I learned all this for free, and with the help of you guys so I am not too concerned.

Kind Regards,

Davo