Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

SP C811 "Problem with Hard Disk" & "Address Book Data Error"

Seems my printer Ricoh SP C811DN is not seeing the hard drive. It happened after printing a single page. Called my tech and he said he had never hear or dealt with a situation like this but was going to do some research on this. It also has on the control panel "Email TX Data Error". He's based in another city and can't come out fast enough. Any ideas of what I can try?

Re: SP C811 "Problem with Hard Disk" & "Address Book Data Error"

Format the HDD.

Enter SP mode (turn off the machine completely, hold the Online and Escape keys together, keep held and turn on the machine. Wait until the display says SP mode (Service), should take a few seconds.

Navigate to SP5 (Mode) and navigate to SP5-832 (HDD Initialization). Execute to format the HDD, power down and up the machine.

If you do not know how to use the SP mode get an engineer who does, you could damage your machine if you mess with the settings. We cannot be held responsible for your incompetence.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    Format the HDD.

Enter SP mode (turn off the machine completely, hold the Online and Escape keys together, keep held and turn on the machine. Wait until the display says SP mode (Service), should take a few seconds.

Navigate to SP5 (Mode) and navigate to SP5-832 (HDD Initialization). Execute to format the HDD, power down and up the machine.

If you do not know how to use the SP mode get an engineer who does, you could damage your machine if you mess with the settings. We cannot be held responsible for your incompetence.
    Thanks Ruben. I got to the service mode but I cant seem to be able to find the SP5 mode. This is what I get:
    (SP mode (Service))
    Service
    Engine
    End

I hit Service and I get this:
    Service 1 (Class)
    1. Service Mode

I select: Service Mode and I get an option to select 13 different setting and the three ones are:
    001 Bit Switch
    003 Clear Settings
    004 Print Summary

Is there something else I need to do to get into SP5?

Thanks!

It's under Engine, you will see SP1 to SP9.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    It's under Engine, you will see SP1 to SP9.
    Bummer.....executed and said Failed! Any suggestions as to what next?

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Pull the drives, format them with an NTFS partition with an IDE hard disk caddy, pop them back in the machine then retry the format in SP modes. If that fails, the drives are baked and you need to replace them.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Pull the drives, format them with an NTFS partition with an IDE hard disk caddy, pop them back in the machine then retry the format in SP modes. If that fails, the drives are baked and you need to replace them.
    Thanks! Will try tomorrow. I think I have a caddy somewhere. Tricky part will be to format the IDE drive with my Mac but I think it has an option to format for PC.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Got the drive out and formated it with Windows NT Filesystem and it worked fine on the Mac. However, when I put it back into the printer and run the HDD initialization it again says failed. The drive is an IDE 80GB Hitachi 7,200 Rpm from 2008. If I can format it shouldn't the printer see it? Should I try another drive? I have a 40GB handy, could I try with that or should I get a replacement? If the new drive fails what else could it be?

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Okay, you might need to do this on a Windows PC now. Without the drive plugged in, go into the Computer Management section of Administrator Tools in control panel, then go to Disk Management. Connect the drive and you should see it appear. Right mouse on it then delete the partition. Create an new, PRIMARY NTFS partition but don't format it. When you put it back into the printer it should detect the drive as new and format it itself.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Okay, you might need to do this on a Windows PC now. Without the drive plugged in, go into the Computer Management section of Administrator Tools in control panel, then go to Disk Management. Connect the drive and you should see it appear. Right mouse on it then delete the partition. Create an new, PRIMARY NTFS partition but don't format it. When you put it back into the printer it should detect the drive as new and format it itself.
    I did as you said and did not work in the printer. The PC sees the drive no problem. Then went back to the PC formated the drive with the primary partition and still Failed when I put it back into the printer. :-(