Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: GFI FAXMAKER

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

GFI FAXMAKER

Hello all,
    I have a customer that has an MP5001 and is using GFI faxmaker. They have no phone lines (either copper or VOIP) to plug into the fax option. They took out an HP4555 MFP and it was using the GFI faxmaker for faxing. I thought you had to have a dedicated line (phone/fax line) to make any type of faxing work, be it straight faxing from the machine or LAN fax or Right Fax or anything like that. The IT guy I am working with at this customer says he thinks there is some kind of interface/adapter board for this model. Thoughts?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: GFI FAXMAKER

It looks like there should be a Java app that installs on the copier, at least from what I see on GFI's site. No hardware to attach to the MFP.

The software installs on a server, and then connects to either analog or digital lines using a fax board, or in more recent times, an external gateway. These gateways either are a rack mount design (1U), or they look just like a small SOHO router.

Two important things (if I am correct):

1. A java card would be required

2. It is NOT your responsibility as a Ricoh dealer to provide the customer with the client (Java piece), although you may potentially need to aid with installing on the copier. It is a customer responsibility to work with the software vendor.

Most well behaved applications (such as RightFax or AutoStore) include an installer utility to install the needed files. From what I have seen, most use the RXOP utility, although the WIM is normally a viable option.

Some fax solutions have you use the built in email capacity of the MFP to send it an email with the fax number in it, then the software takes over from there.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins