Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Printer Properties Language

hi guys,

I just want to ask if anyone of you experienced the following scenario. I installed Ricoh MP C2051 driver to a server with DANISH as the language. Users installed it to their machines from the server.
    We then decided to change the language of the printer properties and preferences to English. I removed the printer from the server including its driver and installed a driver with the same model but this time language is in ENGLISH. I was able to install it successfully.

I tested it from one of the user's machines. I removed the printer as well as its driver and reinstalled the printer with the English language. After installation, I am surprised that it still uses Danish language on the printing preferences. Is it somewhat related to user profile in Windows? What files or folders do I need to delete from the user machine so that it will reflect the English language?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Vincent

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    The issue is that when you installed the Danish driver, it installed several settings files into the System32 directory in Windows. Since those files are still there, you'll need to find a way to remove all of them and then install the English driver. The easiest way will also remove all other printers and their drivers from the machine so it's a little drastic. If you want to try it:

1. Stop the Print spool service in Windows.
    2. Navigate to the folder %windir%\System32\spool\Printers
    3. Delete everything out of that directory
    4. Restart the print spool service.
    5. Delete any printers that show as connected.
    6. Reboot
    7. Re-add your printers with the driver you want to use.

--sent from my BlackBerry using the Android app

Technician

Re: Printer Properties Language

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    The issue is that when you installed the Danish driver, it installed several settings files into the System32 directory in Windows. Since those files are still there, you'll need to find a way to remove all of them and then install the English driver. The easiest way will also remove all other printers and their drivers from the machine so it's a little drastic. If you want to try it:

6. Reboot

Thank you. I will update you if it is resolved

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I discovered this installing Konica Minolta print drivers on Japanese language PC's. The machine's OS language determines what language the print driver prompt will appear as. Fortunately for me, my operators all were native Japanese language speakers, and preferred the Japanese. It was quite a bit more challenging for me to from an installer's point of view. I had to "borrow" a translator to read me the driver installation prompts, and the possible selections. There were a few moments when I just couldn't make heads nor tails of the choices, so I ran a driver installation side-by-side on my laptop. I was able to determine when I was on the same installation screen.

I may be incorrect here, but if your OS is Danish, your print prompts will also be Danish. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post

6. Reboot

Hello,

The solution did not work for me. When I checked, there are no files inside the %windir%\System32\spool\Printers folder.
    I still tried the solution given but the language on the printer properties is still Danish
    Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

If you are using a Professional or higher version of Windows you can use Run... or Win + R > printmanagement.msc to delete the driver.

Alternatively, use Run... or Win + R > printui /s /t2

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

Sorry, not a Ricoh person, but I have seen this myself with other manufacturers.

If you print a test page from the "Danish" driver to the machine, the test page will contain the folder that the drivers are all installed in. Once you have that, do the following:

1. Remove the Printer
    2. Stop the "Printer Spool" service
    3. Delete the files listed on the test page
    4. Start the spooler again
    5. Restart and re-install

Some driver also install stuff in Users Profiles, so it could be worth having a quick look under C:\Users\%USERNAME% to see if there is anything there as well.

When you say that you previously "Removed" the driver, were you doing this through "Print Server Properties"? If so, were you getting any error messages saying that a file couldn't be deleted or access denied?
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    Sorry, not a Ricoh person, but I have seen this myself with other manufacturers.

If you print a test page from the "Danish" driver to the machine, the test page will contain the folder that the drivers are all installed in. Once you have that, do the following:

1. Remove the Printer
    2. Stop the "Printer Spool" service
    3. Delete the files listed on the test page
    4. Start the spooler again
    5. Restart and re-install

Some driver also install stuff in Users Profiles, so it could be worth having a quick look under C:\Users\%USERNAME% to see if there is anything there as well.

When you say that you previously "Removed" the driver, were you doing this through "Print Server Properties"? If so, were you getting any error messages saying that a file couldn't be deleted or access denied?
    Ok, I will try it. I remove the driver using the Print Management for Windows 7. I do not get any error messages when deleting the driver there. I will inform the results here. Thanks again!

Technician

Hi,

I have tried removing the files on the test page but it did not resolve the issue.
    I discover a path that contains a .dll that might pertain to Danish language named dan52.dll
    It is the following location:
    C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\oem setup.inf_amd64_neutral_3338433881834185

There are four files beginning with dan52*** and I deleted them. I removed the printer and re-add it but it showed:
    "Cannot connect to printer"

So I re-added the files and it worked but the language is still set to Danish

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts

You could also try the Kyocera Print Driver Removal Tool. It works for all models of machines and can also remove orphaned Registry Objects which relate to previously installed printer drivers.

Give that a try.
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.