ACJeffrey

Mp 161 Strange Problem.

I stumbled across a machine out in the field, ricoh 161, that when making a copy the adf will feed a couple of copies and then just stop. It won't flash anything on the Panel but you hit start and it continues to feed. I have noticed when hitting start the "add Paper" light flashes red and goes away. Once the problem occurs you must continue to hit start repeatedly until the job is complete. I went ahead and free ran the ADF and it was perfectly fine so no sensor issues. Another thing the machine does with nothing on the glass or in the ADF you are able to hit start and no prompt saying "unable to detect original size please reset original" displays. The customer has also informed me that the machine has issues when receiving a fax with response to the sending machine out of paper. I don't have any idea if that has any correlation with said problem just more information to this puzzle. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Mp 161 Strange Problem.

Paper empty switch above the paper tray is not seated properly, or malfunctioning

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Re: Mp 161 Strange Problem.

The problem with the Add Paper light can be solved by replacing the Paper Detection Sensor.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Generally, this happens when people don't lock the paper lift plate in the down position before closing the paper drawer.

ACJeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Iowatech View Post
    Generally, this happens when people don't lock the paper lift plate in the down position before closing the paper drawer.
    I pulled out the paper and re-positioned the fences however I didn't think of looking to see if the plate was down when reinserting the tray. Thank you.

azhar

replace tray sensor

Quote Originally Posted by ACJeffrey View Post
    I stumbled across a machine out in the field, ricoh 161, that when making a copy the adf will feed a couple of copies and then just stop. It won't flash anything on the Panel but you hit start and it continues to feed. I have noticed when hitting start the "add Paper" light flashes red and goes away. Once the problem occurs you must continue to hit start repeatedly until the job is complete. I went ahead and free ran the ADF and it was perfectly fine so no sensor issues. Another thing the machine does with nothing on the glass or in the ADF you are able to hit start and no prompt saying "unable to detect original size please reset original" displays. The customer has also informed me that the machine has issues when receiving a fax with response to the sending machine out of paper. I don't have any idea if that has any correlation with said problem just more information to this puzzle. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dear
    plz repace or clean paper tray sensor

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Mp 161 Strange Problem.

Try cleaning the paper length senors on the DF input tray.
    Every time I deal with Photo reflectors, I clean them first then try again.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Mp 161 Strange Problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman:429926
    Try cleaning the paper length senors on the DF input tray.
    Every time I deal with Photo reflectors, I clean them first then try again.
    No paper size sensors on the df's of these little beasts NM. Manual paper size selection only

Trusted Tech 250+ Posts Athlontini's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Paper empty switch above the paper tray is not seated properly, or malfunctioning
    It's definitely this. The "paper empty" light flashing on and off is a telltale sign.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I agree!!!! Had the same thing happen to me.