Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MP C4000 hooked up on Mac

We are having trouble getting a MP C4000 to print from a Mac computer. We did a firmware update but probably need to do post script as well. How can we get the postscript for this machine?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP C4000 hooked up on Mac

It is a SD card option that has to be installed. Apple does have a generic PCL driver that works for B/W.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    It is a SD card option that has to be installed. Apple does have a generic PCL driver that works for B/W.
    That is how we have it hooked up right now,Do you know where i can get the SD card with PostScript on it?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Order it from Ricoh.

Whatever you do, DON'T be a hero and try to save $$ by finding a used one, even from a dealer.

Nine times out of 10, the card was not properly uninstalled, and is worthless.

There are numerous, if not countless threads on this site that say the same thing.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Order directly from Ricoh. EDP code 414555. Price includes licensing fee from Adobe. Application cannot be copied or moved to another card. If there already is a card in slot 1, the applications on that needs to be moved to the PS3 card. Procedure is in the service manual.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

A really good topic to discuss we met the issue almost every day since iPhone 6 become crazy, more and more customers switch to Mac OX.

I have no objection to order the SD card from Ricoh in term of business strategy or profit margin. Have you think of Customer Expectation? What is reaction of Customer impression on brand name? simply customer argue why my Mac can print from any HP printer?

how can we explain it to end user. It is time for change! Ironically, when you buy any new smart phone, should you pay extra fee or license fee for GPS company

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peterxu256 View Post
    A really good topic to discuss we met the issue almost every day since iPhone 6 become crazy, more and more customers switch to Mac OX.

I have no objection to order the SD card from Ricoh in term of business strategy or profit margin. Have you think of Customer Expectation? What is reaction of Customer impression on brand name? simply customer argue why my Mac can print from any HP printer?

how can we explain it to end user. It is time for change! Ironically, when you buy any new smart phone, should you pay extra fee or license fee for GPS company
    The majority of the fee for PostScript is the licensing fee from Adobe. That is part of the reason that MAC computers are more expensive than similarly configured Windows computers. You are paying a licensing to Adobe to use PostScript. Yes, the customer's MAC can print to any HP printer. Most inkjet printers do not use either PostScript or PCL. They use their own language. Apple includes the drivers for inkjet printers because that is what a large portion of the home users have. Apple also includes a generic PCL driver. It works great for Black & White, but I do not know how to make it print color. I do not own anything Apple so do not have the opportunity to play with it. As for GPS, most of the satellites used are paid for by all of us through our taxes for government own satellites or through what we pay for satellite TV, cable TV and other communications services. It is also built into the cost of your cell service whether you use it or not.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The majority of the fee for PostScript is the licensing fee from Adobe. That is part of the reason that MAC computers are more expensive than similarly configured Windows computers. You are paying a licensing to Adobe to use PostScript. Yes, the customer's MAC can print to any HP printer. Most inkjet printers do not use either PostScript or PCL. They use their own language. Apple includes the drivers for inkjet printers because that is what a large portion of the home users have. Apple also includes a generic PCL driver. It works great for Black & White, but I do not know how to make it print color. I do not own anything Apple so do not have the opportunity to play with it. As for GPS, most of the satellites used are paid for by all of us through our taxes for government own satellites or through what we pay for satellite TV, cable TV and other communications services. It is also built into the cost of your cell service whether you use it or not.
    Well, it is all known fact that each mobile phone maker paid maximum $1.00/pc to GSP company. Nowadays ordinary users can not be easily screwed up because internet or Google.ca university will tell them every single truth.

Return to key point, the generic PCL driver doesn't work at all. First time, you can print , most of time printing out huge garbage characters pages(like endless printing) caused customers crying waste paper and toner... What hell doing here!!! Re windows 8.1 classical driver, it is not stable either. who is fault, we don't know. customer complained soon after they can not print any more. We have to reinstall ordinary PCL 6 again.

Sometimes we feel embarrassing, end ordinary user found a solution for us!!!, they installed an application from Parallels.com windows 7 plateform embedded on Mac.

However, both of us are not Printing Language expert, But some competitor did work around, like HP, called PS Level 1,2, or 3 emulation.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peterxu256 View Post
    Return to key point, the generic PCL driver doesn't work at all.
    Admittedly, Ricoh's generic PCL driver is a POS. So is their PCL6 driver for universal print. I was referring to Apple's generic PCL driver that allows PCL printers to be used on the MAC OS. I am not certain which versions have it but every time I have had a customer who wants to print from a MAC but does not want to purchase PostScript it has worked fine other than not being able to print in color.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Sorry, what is meant for POS?