Service Manager 1,000+ Posts bilyahn's Avatar

IBM/Ricoh Infoprint 1764 copy quality on rear side

This is a Lexmark C770/790 equivalent. ITU, Fuser and Xfer Roller were replaced for maintenance. Now unit has copy quality issues on the rear side only. Have included some scans for you to see from the test print menu. It appears to only affect the black.

I have also replaced the black drum unit and checked the placement of the ITU and the xfer roller but it hasn't helped. Transfer roller doesn't seem to fit quite right but it does go into the slot and unit closes up properly. Reset color calibration but that didn't seem to have any effect either.

Please have a look at the scans and let me know if you have seen this before and might have some suggestions for me. It is also skewing slightly on the 2nd side when duplexing but I don't believe that has anything to do with problem and I will address that after I resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort in this matter.

Bil

Infoprint Color 1764.pdf

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: IBM/Ricoh Infoprint 1764 copy quality on rear side

I don't know how much this will help, but it sounds a little like the new black drum unit may have been damaged by improper storage or handling.
    A stop test to see what's on the drum when it is transferring the image to the ITU might help, if possible.
    I spent nearly a day figuring this out while going through three new black drums on a HP a while back, which is why I'm suggesting it.
    Sorry though if this is a waste of time.

Thanks for the suggestion. They are never a waste of time since (from experience) I've found that it is very easy to overlook something once you have tried it causing all kinds of grief. The drums and maintenance kits are Ricoh/IBM labeled OEM components and are stored near the unit. Boxes are undamaged and unopened prior to me installing it. Doesn't mean that the drum units aren't bad though. The previous black drum had also been replaced recently so maybe there is something wrong with them.

Thank you and have a great day.

Bil

Problems caused by a missing spring that moves the contact point for the black drum. Replaced the spring and CQ problem went away.

Bil