Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Help for faster print over network with aficio 1055

Hello there ,

Hope you are all doing great , we just got an aficio 1055 , it is in good shape and there is no problem with that , the only inconvenient we have with this machine ( I dont know if it could be fixed ) is slow print over network by using pc - we almost never use copy and we just need printing by pc and the network , all of our files are pdf files - the machine works well but it sends the print to machine very slowly I would say one copy in 3 sec or so - I checked and noticed that the sd rams it has on the printing board are 32 mg and 128 mg ( pcl 100 ) I tried and changed the 32 ram with the same 128 ram but no difference on the speed and receiving the prints from pc .

is there any way I could make this machine printing faster over network?the interesting thing is that I know a store whose machine is an older famliy of this machine and it is 551 and they also print pdf files using pc and I suppose that could print faster as they print something around 7000 pages or so

I would really appreciate any advice and help

Thanks for your time

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Help for faster print over network with aficio 1055

A total of 160 MB is the maximum that can be used. There should be a setting in User Tools somewhere for the way the memory is used, font vs buffer. The buffer memory should be set to the largest available. As this model if obsolete and I don't have one to check, I cannot tell you exactly where the setting is. The main things that affect network print speed is the driver. Do not use a generic driver or a Windows supplied driver as they tend to be slow. In the printing preferences, check for settings for True Type fonts (download as true type or bit mapped) and for graphics type (raster or vector). Try changing these settings.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    A total of 160 MB is the maximum that can be used. There should be a setting in User Tools somewhere for the way the memory is used, font vs buffer. The buffer memory should be set to the largest available. As this model if obsolete and I don't have one to check, I cannot tell you exactly where the setting is. The main things that affect network print speed is the driver. Do not use a generic driver or a Windows supplied driver as they tend to be slow. In the printing preferences, check for settings for True Type fonts (download as true type or bit mapped) and for graphics type (raster or vector). Try changing these settings.
    Thanks for the answer , I tried and could not find any memory buffer -I am using win 7 and I have installed all the 4 drivers available for this specific model including

1: PCL 6 Driver
    2:PCL 5e Driver
    3:PostScript3 Driver
    4:PCL Mini-Driver

with driver 1 , 2 , and 4 I noticed when I send the files to print in the print statue I noticed the size of the printed pdf file is super huge (the orignal file is around 4 mg but when it is printing it shows the size around 500 mg!)
    strangely with driver number 3 I got super fast printing with the machine but it just sent white pages and at the start some pages of errors written in the printed page.

any other help would be appreciated guys

Thanks

Technician

Thanks for the answer , I tried and could not find any memory buffer -I am using win 7 and I have installed all the 4 drivers available for this specific model including

1: PCL 6 Driver
    2:PCL 5e Driver
    3:PostScript3 Driver
    4:PCL Mini-Driver

with driver 1 , 2 , and 4 I noticed when I send the files to print in the print statue I noticed the size of the printed pdf file is super huge (the orignal file is around 4 mg but when it is printing it shows the size around 500 mg!)
    strangely with driver number 3 I got super fast printing with the machine but it just sent white pages and at the start some pages of errors written in the printed page.

Thanks

Technician

Thank you for the answer , I could not find any buffer regarding the print - the strange thing is that when I send the prints from the pc , the sent pdf files size get super huge sometimes - I am using all 4 kinds of its official drivers they have for this model from afficio's website - the PS driver sends super fast but just white pages and nothing more

Cheers
    Last edited by guitarloverasl; 03-09-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Check your ethernet port negotiation speed and make sure it is full duplex--not half duplex!

Also the ballooning of your pdf's may have something to do with how the pdf was created!

Any time I see someone with a problem, I ask how the pdf was created.

PDF is a container format and can contain many types of objects and layers. If the PDF is in a single layer as if it is just an image, many times it will process faster. If it is slow in processing, perhaps it is due to multiple layers which have to be flattened before printing! Also having different image types in a pdf can cause problems, such as having a CMYK colorspace object in a mostly RGB colorspace PDF can cause a print delay.

And definitely, make sure your print drivers are updated and correct for your printer and computer OS!!!

Technician

Thanks for the answer , I m printing the same pdf files in another machine (aficio 3045) and it is fine no problem - the speed is full duplex - I m facing problem using postscript 3 driver which I have downloaded from the official website for this specific machine , it is just printing some weird codes and english letters - what am I missing?with the other drivers the speed is very low

Any other help will be appreciated

thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I would say you are missing the post script option in the machine
    it is not fitted as standard you would need to buy the option
    it comes on and sd card which you fit to the machine

Technician

Thanks for making it clear for me , so basically it is like a SD card I have to connect it to the machine?but where is the place for that on the machine , I cant find any place on the machine for the card to be fitted

Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Yep!

More than likely missing the PostScript option!

It really pisses me off that Ricoh sees this an "option" rather than a requirement!

It would be nice if there was an IEEE consortium that REQUIRED printers to have certain things before being put on the market!--this case, PCL & PS...that's pretty much a "no brainer"!!!