Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Help for faster print over network with aficio 1055

Re: Help for faster print over network with aficio 1055

Quote Originally Posted by guitarloverasl View Post
    Thanks for making it clear for me , so basically it is like a SD card I have to connect it to the machine?but where is the place for that on the machine , I cant find any place on the machine for the card to be fitted

Thanks
    This machine was manufactured before Ricoh started using SD cards. Firmware updates required the use of a 4MB PCMCIA card special software for your laptop in order to write to the cards. Options were installed using either option cards that plugged into the controller.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    Yep!

More than likely missing the PostScript option!

It really pisses me off that Ricoh sees this an "option" rather than a requirement!

It would be nice if there was an IEEE consortium that REQUIRED printers to have certain things before being put on the market!--this case, PCL & PS...that's pretty much a "no brainer"!!!

Adobe holds the copyrights to PostScript and requires a licensing fee on every printer with PostScript installed. It is this fee that makes the option cost as much as it does.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

hmmm.....

Why not have an "OpenPS"....an open post script community???

I know that several printer manufacturers, most notably HP has used an "emulated" PS on their machines, which I have used with Apple products and not had any problems to speak of!

Technician

Thanks guys for the answers - so I should forget about postscript 3 for this machine , my only option is PCL 5e and PCL 6 - when I sent a pdf file using pcl 5 e ( the size of the original pdf is 1 mg) while spooling its size gets around 40 mg - is there any way to make the sent file size smaller so it loads faster?I can not make the PCL6 work I could install it successfully but when I send the file with that it says the document could not be printed.

any other help would be appreciated

Thanks

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    hmmm.....

Why not have an "OpenPS"....an open post script community???

I know that several printer manufacturers, most notably HP has used an "emulated" PS on their machines, which I have used with Apple products and not had any problems to speak of!

This has not been around very long. Ricoh has tried it but we're not as happy with it as compared to Adobe.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

PostScript emulation has always been dodgy. HP's PostScript engine has proven itself to be highly unreliable as opposed to true Adobe PostScript. One thing I've always tried to do for my 'Nix clients and any heavy Adobe shops has been to recommend any brand that only offers a true PostScript environment since the results are a little more predictable, and a lot more stable.

As to the issue at hand, for 32-bit clients there is still the RPCS driver, which was always my second choice after PostScript.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    PostScript emulation has always been dodgy. HP's PostScript engine has proven itself to be highly unreliable as opposed to true Adobe PostScript. One thing I've always tried to do for my 'Nix clients and any heavy Adobe shops has been to recommend any brand that only offers a true PostScript environment since the results are a little more predictable, and a lot more stable.

As to the issue at hand, for 32-bit clients there is still the RPCS driver, which was always my second choice after PostScript.
    Thanks for the answer , could you please give me more info regarding RPCS driver?I could not find anything

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

I stand corrected: it looks as if there is no RPCS driver for the 1055. When I did the search from the Ricoh US website, the drivers download for the 1055 actually gives you the drivers for the 1022! Quite a difference there!

Technician

Yes indeed it seems that this machine does not have that driver.

Any other suggestions or help would be appreciated

Thank you