Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    susiekay

Samsung CLX-3175FW Can't remove imaging unit.

The printer is starting to smear the type on a printed page; getting too much green. So removed toner cartridges, waste toner container, but try as I might, can't dislodge the imaging unit. Feels as though there is something holding it back from releasing and sliding out. Tried lifting it (comes up about a 1/4 inch) and shaking from side to side (minimal movement.) Looked all around the inside, trying to keep from getting light on the imager, can't see any kind of toggle that might release it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated; new member, by the way. Thanks! Susiekay.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Samsung CLX-3175FW Can't remove imaging unit.

Once the four toner cartridges and waste bottle are out, it's just setting there. No latch, no button, just pull back on the drum unit and it slides right out. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

susiekay

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Once the four toner cartridges and waste bottle are out, it's just setting there. No latch, no button, just pull back on the drum unit and it slides right out. =^..^=
    Hi Blackcat, thanks for reply. I know that's what should happen, and (I have been working out!!!) but there is no budging this imaging unit. I actually had the bottom of the printer up against my knees, pulling with both hands, but it won't budge. I've learned in the past, not to force stuff - so thought I'd better check first to make sure. Didn't want to shine the flashlight onto any part of the drum, so am kind of stuck, no pun intended.
    There is some sort of clip over on the right side of the opening, in between the spots where the wheel part of the imaging unit slides out. I did release a couple of them, and snapped them back into place because I lost my nerve, actually - and the YouTube videos I've seen all seem to think it's a snap to just pull the imaging unit out. Maybe I'm just not strong enough?

I would think a child of 8 yrs could manage.

Take a look at the linkages that connect the front door to the main body. One of them operates the laser shutter, and if treated roughly will disconnect. The laser shutters won't open and you'll get blank prints.

Sure the drum is light sensitive, but you can shine a flashlight around in there to get a look. Just don't leave your flashlight shining on the same spot for 1/2 hour consecutively.

I don't specifically recall looking at that mechanism, but if you're patient I can take some pix of an office machine in a few hours. =^..^=

susiekay

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I would think a child of 8 yrs could manage.

Take a look at the linkages that connect the front door to the main body. One of them operates the laser shutter, and if treated roughly will disconnect. The laser shutters won't open and you'll get blank prints.

Sure the drum is light sensitive, but you can shine a flashlight around in there to get a look. Just don't leave your flashlight shining on the same spot for 1/2 hour consecutively.

I don't specifically recall looking at that mechanism, but if you're patient I can take some pix of an office machine in a few hours. =^..^=
    Well, can't pick up a child of 8, but can barely manage a 40lb bag of water softener salt. Should qualify, hopefully
    I don't see anything obvious latchwise.
    Yes, am aware of the door linkages - I read that in a forum discussion, I believe.
    Would appreciate the pix, thanks. Tried again to pull out the drum assy, with knees against the two bottom feet of the unit. I would think it would pull out as easily as the toner cartridges, but no dice. I sincerely believe there is a ghost in this printer. It connects to the network when the spirit moves it. I set it up with USB cable, and it still gives me grief. Bought it brand new Samsung toner cartridges, and it starts to smear the blue with the yellow. Grrr.

The only thing that could possibly holding you up is the ground contacts that touch the drum shaft at each end. I figure that there are two ways to extract your drum:

1) You can remove the side panels and attempt to remove the ground contact springs.
    2) You can make two tools of this description: 6mm square metal rod with 3mm radius curved feature on one end, like this:

CLX3175 drum removat tool x2.JPG

CLX3175_1.JPGCLX3175_2.jpgCLX3175_3.JPGCLX3175_4.JPG

What do you think? =^..^=

susiekay

Thank you for the excellent pictures. I imagine taking the sides off would be some adventure. And that's my only alternative, not being a machinist. I do have a friend that is, however.
    I'm assuming the 6mm metal piece would slide over the shaft on the side, and release the spring that's stuck. Wouldn't that mean, however, that the drum couldn't turn, either, if the spring is keeping it from coming forward? Trying to picture a spring that would prevent a shaft from releasing forward. To be more specific, from the video it appeared that the shaft going through the drum had a spring only on the right side, and the shaft had some kind of shape on that side similar to a square as opposed to the left side which slid through the drum left to right. Does that make sense? Maybe the best thing is just to bite the bullet and take it to a repair shop. I hate to give up on it, darned thing was so expensive. But I do have an HP that works like a charm, no hassles at all. I'm just not a throwaway kind of person if it can be rescued.
    Tried again to pull it out, and actually lifted the whole printer off the table by the groove grip on the imaging unit.

It appears there is a similar amount of loose toner as that in your pictures, maybe a bit more. Is there any way to turn the drum without removing it from the printer? I could probably at least clean that off, although I'm sure there is some loose stuff on the housing as well. It's about 7 years old, after all.
    In any case, thank you for your help and the pictures. Grateful for the help.
    Sue

I was unable to develop a customized tool for this task. I found that by using a small flat blade screwdriver and going in between the central white plastic gears, carefully, that I was able to push up on the loop of the metal spring that was hanging down preventing the release of the drum cassette. My side that was stuck was on the right side of the drum. Lifting up on that small piece of spring/wire, after gently sliding the screwdriver in between the white gears, and pulling simultaneously forward on the cassette handle, it then finally slid forward. Hopes this helps someone out there.