Senior Tech 100+ Posts mbcruzin's Avatar

Samsung CLX8650ND Display issue

Good Morning all.

Today We have a wonderful Samsung CLX8650ND. After power up the Display will show the background, the left/right arrows, and the drop down arrow. A home icon is present in its normal location, But that is it. No other icons are present. The left right arrows beep when touched, the drop down arrow shows all four toners empty. Then if you what awhile.........a long while. a message is displayed to Power off then on the machine. I can not get into service mode. A message of "Machine is busy please try again" pops up.

Has anyone seen this before?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Re: Samsung CLX8650ND Display issue

Quote Originally Posted by mbcruzin View Post
    Good Morning all.

Today We have a wonderful Samsung CLX8650ND. After power up the Display will show the background, the left/right arrows, and the drop down arrow. A home icon is present in its normal location, But that is it. No other icons are present. The left right arrows beep when touched, the drop down arrow shows all four toners empty. Then if you what awhile.........a long while. a message is displayed to Power off then on the machine. I can not get into service mode. A message of "Machine is busy please try again" pops up.

Has anyone seen this before?
    It takes a while after they are turned on for you to be able to do anything. You may have a hard drive failing. I would suggest reinstalling software if you can. If you can't you may have a bad hard drive. When I see that message it seems to not be fully booted. Could take up to five minutes but after that something is wrong with software, or hard drive. I have a couple of those and have had to replace a hard drive once.

Quote Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
    It takes a while after they are turned on for you to be able to do anything. You may have a hard drive failing. I would suggest reinstalling software if you can. If you can't you may have a bad hard drive. When I see that message it seems to not be fully booted. Could take up to five minutes but after that something is wrong with software, or hard drive. I have a couple of those and have had to replace a hard drive once.

Thanks for the reply Dan. I had the machine up for over an hour with no change on the display. turns out this was a trouble shooting machine for one of our other locations. I bet they swapped out the HDD for a similar issue.

When you said reload software do you mean Firmware? or something else? sorry to ask I'm not to well versed on this brand. Also can i just plug in another HDD from off the shelf or do I need to order one from Samsung?

We grabbed a HDD from another Samsung (C9201) just to see what would happen. The machine came into a system restore. Service mode became available. Now my service manager is trying to update firmware.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts dan7777's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbcruzin View Post
    Thanks for the reply Dan. I had the machine up for over an hour with no change on the display. turns out this was a trouble shooting machine for one of our other locations. I bet they swapped out the HDD for a similar issue.

When you said reload software do you mean Firmware? or something else? sorry to ask I'm not to well versed on this brand. Also can i just plug in another HDD from off the shelf or do I need to order one from Samsung?
    Canon calls it software, I think Ricoh called it firmware. Not sure why but same thing to me. We have had software issues from Samsung from day one so I always update every Samsung machine I have (which is not many). Sorry I did not see this as I have been busy the last few weeks with one of the techs on vacation. Sounds like you found the problem with the hard drive. Not sure about hard drive. We order them from Samsung.