Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Samsung scx-8040 s1-3001 system video error

I am working on a Samsung scx8040 and it is a service call that another company began but did not finish. A massive electrical discrepancy sent voltage spikes through the machine. Unfortunately the service company that was there before me did not find the power issue and installed a bunch of new boards and an incorrect hard drive. When I first saw the machine it would not turn on. Power supply board had 9 blown capacitors so I replaced that board. All of the other boards seem to be fine and I don't really smell any funky electrical and I was testing positive for continuity. I instructed the customer to have facilities fix the outlet and I returned with an innavolt. When I powered on the machine it went into system recovery mode. I do not have access to the original hard drive and and my resources are unable to explain to me what package is supposed to be installed on the hard drive that is referred to in the service manual for formatting. I decided to try firmware and it would not load. I spoke with many Samsung technicians and suppliers and they were unable to give me an exact answer but agreed that firmware might be what the service manual was talking about. After continuing to try firmware I realize like a bonehead I didn't check to see that they had installed the right HDD. I ordered the hard drive and turned on the machine now it's giving me a s1-3110 video System error code. The USB has continuity and the hard drive is brand new. I found some vents back metal on what seems to be a fax joint board so I unplugged that and power down the machine with the same result. I did the same with the hard drive unplugged which brought me to system recovery mode but it's hard to load firmware when there's no hard drive LOL. Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for here? Like I said the boards look pretty ok but even if I was given a list of the replaced parts so far, I cannot trust that they used a safety barrier between the machine and the circuit. end user has been without their copier for a month now and the way theyre forced to procure from higher up puts them in a difficult situation where the offered equipment for replacement would not satisfy their Network needs or their volume needs. Help would be inanely appreciated

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Samsung scx-8040 s1-3001 system video error

One thing to keep in mind with Samsung is that there are two types of f/w. There is the regular type that you load when everything is normal, and there is an HDD Recovery f/w which re-images the HDD when a new HDD is installed. You need to load the HDD Recovery version first, then load the current regular f/w. When you unplug the HDD it immediately boots into System Recovery mode because it doesn't detect the HDD. System Recovery is where you load the HDD Recovery f/w. Once you are in System Recovery plug the HDD back in and follow the steps to re-image the HDD. I would guess that should fix the S1-3001 error you are getting.
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arnh79 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind with Samsung is that there are two types of f/w. There is the regular type that you load when everything is normal, and there is an HDD Recovery f/w which re-images the HDD when a new HDD is installed. You need to load the HDD Recovery version first, then load the current regular f/w. When you unplug the HDD it immediately boots into System Recovery mode because it doesn't detect the HDD. System Recovery is where you load the HDD Recovery f/w. Once you are in System Recovery plug the HDD back in and follow the steps to re-image the HDD. I would guess that should fix the S1-3001 error you are getting.

Do you know where to get this?? That's what I was figuring but I cannot find a vendor that can supply or even confirm that such a thing exsists! Thank you so much!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Unfortunately I cannot supply the necessary f/w. I hope you manage to track it down.
    Why does every customer think they're the first one to ever say: "you've been here so much we should get you an office, ha, ha, ha"?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arnh79 View Post
    Unfortunately I cannot supply the necessary f/w. I hope you manage to track it down.

Thank you for your help wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by TayTayTheTechnician View Post
    Thank you for your help wish me luck!
    I do not think it is firmware at all. I had a machine a few months ago with the same error and it was the video board bad. I tried the sata cable and new hard drive but it was definitely the board and from you are describing with the power surge issues that happened I can almost bet money the video board is fried.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daniel411 View Post
    I do not think it is firmware at all. I had a machine a few months ago with the same error and it was the video board bad. I tried the sata cable and new hard drive but it was definitely the board and from you are describing with the power surge issues that happened I can almost bet money the video board is fried.
    Thank you for your response!

So with the brand new harddrive, I shouldn't need a firmware reload as well as the video board? Thank you so much, this whole project has been really illusive lol

Quote Originally Posted by TayTayTheTechnician View Post
    Thank you for your response!

So with the brand new harddrive, I shouldn't need a firmware reload as well as the video board? Thank you so much, this whole project has been really illusive lol
    if you do not have the original hard drive then yes you will need to reload the hard disk firmware for the machine. if you stil have the original hard drive and it is still good you may be lucky with just a pop and swap of hard drive.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have the same issue with SCX-8040ND but in my case it is rather HDD failure as my machine displays s1-3110 error. I have old HDD which is probably bad. I do not have f/w to check if it helps but I remember from CLX-9350ND that if you unplug hdd then machine should go into recovery mode. If not then Video board need to be replaced.
    If you can send me f/w then I will try upload it and back with results. A new hdd require hdd f/w which I cannot get too.