Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Samsung SCX-6545N Lines when scanning through ADF

Hello all and thanks for all your thoughts on this. Have A client who has a scx-6545N that for the most part works great. the issue seems to be with ADF Scanning. the power save settings are set to 120 minutes because they cant be bothered to wait for the machine to power up. what is happening is when they scan documents say a stack of 30 sheets. starting with ADF glass clean. after page 15 they start top get lines on the scan/copy and they need to clean the glass. this has been going on for at least 8 months. we have replaced the scanner glass. the doc feeder unit, fuser opened the little vent on the back of the scanner and removed the fake cover to let more air in. this is the only client with this issue. we have accountants, drs and law firms that this doesn't happen with. would putting a fan in the whole help? or any thoughts.

the novel thought will be when they upgrade the machine and it still happens
    andy

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Samsung SCX-6545N Lines when scanning through ADF

Quote Originally Posted by printlessguy View Post
    Hello all and thanks for all your thoughts on this. Have A client who has a scx-6545N that for the most part works great. the issue seems to be with ADF Scanning. the power save settings are set to 120 minutes because they cant be bothered to wait for the machine to power up. what is happening is when they scan documents say a stack of 30 sheets. starting with ADF glass clean. after page 15 they start top get lines on the scan/copy and they need to clean the glass. this has been going on for at least 8 months. we have replaced the scanner glass. the doc feeder unit, fuser opened the little vent on the back of the scanner and removed the fake cover to let more air in. this is the only client with this issue. we have accountants, drs and law firms that this doesn't happen with. would putting a fan in the whole help? or any thoughts.
    the novel thought will be when they upgrade the machine and it still happens
    andy
    why do you think that the amount of AIR FLOW is causing the issue?

" opened the little vent on the back of the scanner and removed the fake cover to let more air in. "
    what you did here is give a more open pathway for the incoming air flow to carry dust and particles into the scanner. THIS MOVE could cause you to pull the glass and clean the insides of the scanner more often. There is a REASON that the 100,000$/yr Engineer designed it that way... and now a 12$/hr tech knows best.... do you also leave " un-needed " screws out of the re-assembly process?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

the reason for air flow thought is the scanner glass seems to get abnormally hot and it looks like toner spots on the adf glass. the vent hole is a poor design by the company. they make a place for a cooling fan. filter and vent louver in the machine and then change their mind and rather than redoing all the metal and plastic in the area the solve it with a 2cent plastic sticker covering the hole. the comments on wages and competency are unwarranted from 1 $12/hr tech to another.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by printlessguy View Post
    the reason for air flow thought is the scanner glass seems to get abnormally hot and it looks like toner spots on the adf glass. the vent hole is a poor design by the company. they make a place for a cooling fan. filter and vent louver in the machine and then change their mind and rather than redoing all the metal and plastic in the area the solve it with a 2cent plastic sticker covering the hole. the comments on wages and competency are unwarranted from 1 $12/hr tech to another.
    ha. am not haven't been a 12$ tech for DECADES and I NEVER do what you did.... you are just ASKING for more problems. but do not worry.. I will not comment on ANY other of your posts

Senior Tech 100+ Posts 1stcavvet's Avatar

The problem is your customers printers are not fusing properly, the toner is coming off as they pass through the feeder. they're using compatable toner that wont stay on the paper or the printers are failing them. try using a stack of papers from somewhere else, maybe from your own office, and see if you need to clean the glass

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I agree with 1stcavvet:

I took a call a while back from a customer that kept scanning the same set of poorly fused originals, and What do you know? these originals jammed continuously, and contaminated the slit glass every time, on every copier they tried to use.

I apologized for accidentally damaging these originals during testing ... and never heard about it again.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts

I agree, if the originals are from a laser printer, it's probably poor fusing; on the other hand, if originals are from an ink jet printer, they were fed too soon before properly drying.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

thank you all for your insight. they are using oem toner and drum. we supply them. and this is the main machine that they use for everything. I think I will try the bring a stack of originals from my office there and see if lines appear. will keep you advised
    thank you very much. i will also recover the vent hole