I am a complete newbie to this forum, so please forgive if my question is facile. I have just purchased a used CLX-9301 which is due to arrive in a few hours time. I know from its status report sheets that it has done about 150,000 copies, almost all of which were A4 mono. Surprisingly, it has done zero A3 copies. Its black toner cartridge is down to 4% and its black imaging unit 1%, so I have already bought replacements for those. The C, M and Y equivalents are all around 50%.

I am confused about developer powder. Will I need to obtain some in order to use the two replacement items, and if so, where does it go? As far as I can tell, it goes into the black imaging unit (the bit with the 30mm dia. image drum) But it can't already be in there in the new item, for the imaging unit doesn't yet know what colour it is going to become. I have downloaded pdfs of the User Guide and Service Manual, but am unable to resolve my query from them.

If I do need black developer powder, I want to order some without delay, hence my question in advance of actually receiving the copier. I need to get it up and running without delay, for I have overdue work to do on it.

By the way, is the XLS-9x01 family any good? They seem to be sold remarkably cheaply second-hand! I have had a second-hand Sharp 701 (I think) A3 mono for the last fourteen years, which has performed excellently, but alas, has just died on me with a lamp fault code.

Thanks in anticipation,

Tony.