Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Samsung CLX-3175 Drum Reset

I've been working on Samsung for over two years, and this is the first one that needed a drum replacement. It turns out that the drum times out at 24K clicks, 4 clicks per color, 1 click per B&W.

So my customer buys a drum unit, reads the directions, and installs the Imaging Unit. So far so good ... except for the fact that the "Replace Imaging Unit" message is still there.

Two hours of searching to find this in the Service Manual:

Press: Menu, #1934, Menu, "Tech Mode <Tech Mode>" OK, "Data Setup" OK, > x7 to "Clear Counts" OK, "Enter Password [????]", 1934, OK, "Clear Counts [Total Page CNT]", >x3 to "[Imaging Unit]" OK, "Clearing…", back.

It just doesn't make any sense to me for the manufacturer to sell an imaging unit as a user replaceable supply, but does not include the reset procedure with the drum unit, or in the users manual. And the procedure in the service manual is nearly incomprehensible.

Maybe this will save someone two hours of searching. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician
    I know on the larger machines they did that to support their dealers. Just like KM and the old STOP 0 0 STOP 0 1 garbage.. For the CLX-3175, I have no idea why though....

i replaced several drum units in this machine, and the counter reset itself, donīt need to manual reset the drum unit.

Maybe another model, but not the CLX-3175FN. =^..^=

the clx-3175FN is the model with fax, and i have several machines of that model in the field. I remember that i change a drum in this unit (clx-3175fn), but iīm sure that the message "replaced drum unit" gone after i change the drum. I sold 2 drumīs, one is changed by me, and like i told the message gone after i replaced the drum,and the other the client change itself the drum, and do not complaint about anything.
    But Luckily you present this post, in this clientīs the old drumīs are printing with fine quality, like you said i try to find the way to enter in service menu in manual, and I found myself afflicted to find. when i achieve the way, i go to machine, but when came to party: "Enter Password [????]", the manual do not say anything, and i think the samsung introduced password to block the reset of drum. and i find now that the password is 1934, are iīm right?

bmhjermstad

Worked like a charm

Thanks for that info. My unit was giving me the replace imaging unit soon message and I didn't want it to conk out when I was doing a big print job, before I got the replacement imaging unit, so I reset it. So now that I am back to zero clicks on the imaging unit, is there anything magic about the 24000 click limit, or can I merely continue to use the same imaging unit until the image quality deteriorates and then get a new imaging unit? Since I print a lot of partial minimal color (B&W document with small color logo), my 24000 limit was going to be hit after 12 months (4 clicks per image page!), so it seems like it was going to max out way before the fuser was actually worn out (as compared to 24000 pages that would be allowed if I was doing only pure B&W pages). Thanks very much for your complete instructions, worked perfectly.

Regardless of image fill, drum wear results from the physical contact/friction between the drum cleaning blade and the drum. On average, the drum lasts only a certain number of rotations.

Now there is nothing magical about the 24K number. Some last longer, some less. Canon uses a different philosophy: No drum counter. Just decide when the image quality is affected. There are two common image quality affects that will inevitably result. First, grit will collect under the drum blade, scoring the drum surface. The uneven drum surface becomes difficult to clean, and leaves streaks of toner in a specific area, in the feed direction. Second, when the organic drum surface coating wears through, you'll begin to get light and dark bars in the crossfeed dierction. It's caused by loss of the drum ground.

So the short answer? Let it ride, until you see quality issues. But expect to have to change that drum eventually. Once you see quality issues, it's only going to get worse quickly. =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by pLatik View Post
    ... But Luckily you present this post, in this clientīs the old drumīs are printing with fine quality, like you said i try to find the way to enter in service menu in manual, and I found myself afflicted to find. when i achieve the way, i go to machine, but when came to party: "Enter Password [????]", the manual do not say anything, and i think the samsung introduced password to block the reset of drum. and i find now that the password is 1934, are iīm right?
    It was just a WAG (wild-ass guess). How do you enter tech mode?: Menu, # 1934 ...

LadyAnonymia

Blank Paper when photocopying

Hello, I'm new here, I decided to make an account after reading this thread because it contains a similar topic in which I have a question to. I have a Samsung CLX-3175FN, it prints normally but every time I try to photocopy, the paper comes out blank. I googled a bit and I read that it may be the 'Drum cartridge', whatever that is?. They said it could be bent or something. Where is this Drum located and how can I remove it? Or is there any other way I can fix this problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

There are two possibilities for that:

1) The two levers that attach to the bottom of the front door, open the laser shutter upon closing the door. If those levers are disconnected and/or missing you'll get blank prints.

2) I've seen this when a user whose laptop is setup with Korean defaults is connected to a MFP/printer with USA defaults. Samsung does not have an "Auto A4" function that will automatically substitute letter sized paper for A4 sized paper. You just get blanks, and "Paper Mismatch" error. If you select Fit-To-Paper function in the driver, this issue is resolved.

It would have been quite comical for someone to have been watching this Korean gentleman & I trying to communicate. Lots of hand gestures and pointing. In the end, I set up my Windows XP laptop (in American English) next to his Windows XP laptop (in Korean), and after some struggling, I would show him where to click on my PC, then he would do the same on his. Back and forth like that until Fit-To-Paper was selected. This could have been a 15 minute service call if we had a common language. I guess "XP" was our common language. Funny. =^..^=