Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Problems scanning to email with SCX-6345N

We have a couple of customers that we cannot get the scan to email feature to work at all. We have a gmail account that we strictly use for setting up SMTP on our equipment and the only machine that I cannot get it to work on (machines that are SSL capable anyway,) is the SCX-6345. I have not been able to get it to work with each customers SMTP settings, our work settings, (COX,) or a few other mail servers. I did set up a simple SMTP server on a laptop of ours and hooked it up directly to the machine with a crossover cable and was able to make that work with no issues. The 2 customers that are having this problem do not have the same email provider and are 2 completely network types. One is a hotel and one is a small feedyard with the worst looking internal network that I have ever seen. I have told them that there is nothing else that I can do to get it set up at this point. I have set up scan to network folder and set up the Network Scan software on their machines and that works fine. I just thought I would ask and see if any one you out there have had similar problems and what might have been the fix.

I have tried different ports with each server, 25, 465 and 587.
    I have tried with and without user authentication.
    I have tried the hostname of the server and the IP address (if available.)
    I have tried different user accounts/passwords.

The same settings for their server works fine from their PC's.

The MFP displays 1 of 2 messages when the trasmission fails. It says connection failed, ( or something similar to that,) or Authentication failure. When we get the authentication failure it is usually the customer's mail server that we are using. We have tried different accounts with no luck.
    The transmission report that prints says nothing but FAILED.

We also sell Sharp equipment and I have NEVER had any issues setting up gmail on any machines, (except for ones that do not use SSL.) I always use the same accounts and password on port 587. The only real difference I noticed when running through the troubleshooting motions this morning was when I used the gmail server and used port 587 it failed instantly. When I used port 465, (which I've never had to use before,) it would still fail but it would wait until the timeout time was reached and then fail. I thought that was interesting but still didn't get me any further.

Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks Guys.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Problems scanning to email with SCX-6345N

I guess I'm screwed. LOL

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdcrandall13 View Post
    I guess I'm screwed. LOL
    Muratec has this model as mfx-4550.If you know a Muratec tech, he could get this going with their tech support if it's possible. He will need a serial # of one of their similar models.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts
    Problems scanning to email with SCX-6345N

If you are getting an Authentication Error, then you are almost there. This means that the machine was allowed to connect to the server, but failed because the Authetication didn't match the account.

I don't know the machines that you are working on as I am a Konica Minolta and Toshiba tech, but I have found in some machines that there can be a big difference between TLS and SSL. Essentially they are the same, but the machine see them differently.

The hardest part of Scan to Email is getting the machine to work with the clients settings as even the IT people can have a hard time knowing exactly what settings to use.

If you have any Exchange servers that clients use, you can use the below document to get around the requirement of TLS/SSL and basically run an unauthenticated device. I also know that you can use similar settings for other mail servers as well, but you would have to speak with the provider to determine if that is possible.

Email with Exchange 2010.pdf
    Please don't ask me for firmware or service manuals as refusal often offends.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    If you are getting an Authentication Error, then you are almost there. This means that the machine was allowed to connect to the server, but failed because the Authetication didn't match the account.

I don't know the machines that you are working on as I am a Konica Minolta and Toshiba tech, but I have found in some machines that there can be a big difference between TLS and SSL. Essentially they are the same, but the machine see them differently.

The hardest part of Scan to Email is getting the machine to work with the clients settings as even the IT people can have a hard time knowing exactly what settings to use.

If you have any Exchange servers that clients use, you can use the below document to get around the requirement of TLS/SSL and basically run an unauthenticated device. I also know that you can use similar settings for other mail servers as well, but you would have to speak with the provider to determine if that is possible.

Email with Exchange 2010.pdf
    When using the customer's provider's email server settings I get an authentication failure. When trying to use Gmail, our company's mail server or a couple of others all it says is connection failed. The IT for one of these customers has apparently got this issue resolved but I have not been able to contact him. I do not think that there is a firewall issue. The customer uses a linksys home router. It's not like it is a secure network at all. The computers are not on a domain, all are on a workgroup and some arent even on the same workgroup. It is kind of just thrown together. They do not have any IT support staff so there is really no where to turn. They actually use a Hotmail address for their day to day communications... It just blows my mind that I cannot get this working.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I happened to have a used SCX6345 in my office and decided to hook it up here with the exact same (gmail) settings that we use on a daily basis on other machine with no issues. I got the exact same problem as in the customer's office. I tried using port 25, 587 (I have always used 587) and 465. All fail. The only difference is when using port 465 it takes the full timeout time to fail. It does not fail instantly like when using port 25 or 587. I am going to hook the one up here in my office directly to the internet without going through any router or firewall.

CopierJanitor/Geargluer 50+ Posts skinnypuppy's Avatar

For the Admin or return email addy make sure you input a valid email address. I have been stung by this in the past some smtp you can put in fake emails and some you can't. I have done some that have been hosted by some outfits in india and if your admin email or return emails are not on their list forget it.