Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Scan to network folder on a Mac

Hi, Wondering if anyone has an idea of why I can scan to folder on a MAC with newer Sharp MFPs (mx2640,2615,4110) etc, but cannot on older MFPs (MXC402sc, MXM453n) etc.. I know that it didn't work at all with older versions of MAC OSX from Lion to Yosemite unless you put in the port number, but with El Capitan I can only have it working with newer units as stated. Thanks for any help. PNickylon1

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Scan to network folder on a Mac

Try SMBUp if you haven't already!:

SMBUp | eduo.info

Follow the directions explicitly and you shouldn't have any problems!

Create a user for the MFP with password and disable Apple's file & folder sharing.

Go into SMBUp and share the folder and allow the user you created above to have access.

Make sure to restart the sharing server of SMBUp after allowing access to the shared folder.

Good Luck!

PS-- You may have to restart the Mac/Apple to get the SMBUp implementation of SAMBA to startup correctly. Do a complete shutdown and then push the power button to restart.

You might want to rule out scan to folder entirely and use scan to email. With the future version of Macs, there is a likely chance that scan to folder will break once again. With scan to email you can eliminate any OS changes. I tend to use GMX and Gmail, but any email service should be fine. These services can sometimes be seen as spam by some recipient servers, so exceptions will need to be added to the customer's email client software.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paulm View Post
    Hi, Wondering if anyone has an idea of why I can scan to folder on a MAC with newer Sharp MFPs (mx2640,2615,4110) etc, but cannot on older MFPs (MXC402sc, MXM453n) etc.. I know that it didn't work at all with older versions of MAC OSX from Lion to Yosemite unless you put in the port number, but with El Capitan I can only have it working with newer units as stated. Thanks for any help. PNickylon1

TT-061115_1.pdf

could be the version of NTLM, older mfp have version one, and El Capitan uses NTLM v.2(for smb ) . Windows OS switches between ntlm v1 and ntlm v2.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

If one of my Mac customers insists on "Scan to Desktop", I use FTP for Mac scanning.