Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Unhappy MX-6240N Jamming

I'm working on a MX-6240N and when I do duplexing it will jam right at the ADU paper feed roller this is very intermittently. I can run single copies all day long . Looking at jam history I get a APPD1_N. This copier has 47865 b/w and 7362 colored on it so has not been used very much. Just looking for some help on were to look. All my sensors are working fine. It has a MX-RB12 and MX-FN19 on it. Thanks for your help

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    MX-6240N Jamming

Re: MX-6240N Jamming

Quote Originally Posted by sharpsetup View Post
    I'm working on a MX-6240N and when I do duplexing it will jam right at the ADU paper feed roller this is very intermittently. I can run single copies all day long . Looking at jam history I get a APPD1_N. This copier has 47865 b/w and 7362 colored on it so has not been used very much. Just looking for some help on were to look. All my sensors are working fine. It has a MX-RB12 and MX-FN19 on it. Thanks for your help
    I'm not sure if this model has the duplex motor on the front side of the reversing slide-out drawer (I guess it doesn't where it's located),
    but I had same symptoms and the motor would sometimes reverse it's proper direction.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

APPD1_N means that sensor hasn't been reached in time.
    That sensor is right after the exit gate when using the ADU.
    Make sure there is no derbies in there. I had a paper clip cause havoc there.
    When exactly does the jam take place? Going from single, to duplex? Running duplex for a while?
    You say it's very intermittent; that makes me think it could be a sticky solenoid. Although that gate isn't moved when using the ADU continuously it could be stuck after doing single side copies and causing a jam with the next duplex... maybe? SIM 9-3 Option ADUGS runs that particular solenoid.

Even though the sensor is working when you push it, it may be slow enough to cause a jam state.

That is my very inexperienced guess.

senior tech

Check the gate leading into the duplex area for burrs or sluggish action

Senior member of CRS 2,500+ Posts
    MX-6240N Jamming

The first rollers before the APPD1 sensor can get very dirty, and most techs don't clean these because it is harder to access them on this model.
    Take off the top cover of the main side door for access.
    The RB12 has a modified reverse gate which has a larger tab on the front to stop it from breaking and activating open too far.
    Check if the reverse gate cushion has been modified with a plastic sheet over it to stop it from sticking to the reverse gate.
    Adjust the height of the RB12 reverse gate to the rear of the sliding scale marker (must remove RB12 for this adjustment).
    Adjust the solenoid under front cover for the reverse gate opening height.
    "You can't trust your eyes, if your mind is out of focus" --

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    MX-6240N Jamming

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOTECH View Post
    The first rollers before the APPD1 sensor can get very dirty, and most techs don't clean these because it is harder to access them on this model.
    Take off the top cover of the main side door for access.
    The RB12 has a modified reverse gate which has a larger tab on the front to stop it from breaking and activating open too far.
    Check if the reverse gate cushion has been modified with a plastic sheet over it to stop it from sticking to the reverse gate.
    Adjust the height of the RB12 reverse gate to the rear of the sliding scale marker (must remove RB12 for this adjustment).
    Adjust the solenoid under front cover for the reverse gate opening height.
    I've had 3 where the gate he's talking about, the tab is broken and will cause jams, part number is 0cw4b51846005

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    MX-6240N Jamming

I had an MX6240 that intermittently crammed paper into the dead area where the optional exit tray would be (if there was one). Since there was no optional exit tray, and no clear reason why that solenoid was directing paper to a dead end, I secured the solenoid so it never changed state again. And it never jammed that particular jam code again.
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=