Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Several Questions About MX 5001n

I am an end user I am trying to open my open copy and print business. The copy and print store i worked at closed so I purchased off Craigslist a MX 5001N with 1 year after install with 60000 color prints and 20000 bw. The company closed and walked away from machine etc (not the company I worked for). I got the user manuals but no cd's. Being unemployed and trying to get this going on the low budget. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have four pages of machine setup details and i have printed the various lists and counts. It will print from usb and it copies well.

I have gone to the sharp website to dl drivers and software and i have read hundreds of threads to learn what to do.

Questions:
    1. Since I bought i as is and it is off lease. I need to calibrate the machine since it doesnt appear to have been done in the last year as prints from pdfs are too blue. It appears that calibration is an admin function. I have tried Sharp, sharp, admin, Admin, 00000, 11111, 01234, 12345 to no avail.
    I see threads about rebooting after flipping a dip switch and using a sim of 24-30 to reset admin password. I need to reset the admin password and calibrate. This is probably the simplest question/stupidest...sorry is sim mode = diagnostic mode and how is that entered. (p*c*)

2. What software or drivers is works best for running this machine and getting the most out it? I was thinking of initially thinking of printing as a local printer from a local machine. I can use a windows 10, vista 32 or xp machine. I havent tried installing any of the software. What are best apps to install to get the most out of the machine. Is there a "fiery" like freeware or advanced driver that gives lots of output control over color management and profiles?

3. Where can find additional information on how to care for and maintain the machine? Manuals, write ups, papers and guides etc? I really want to learn how the machines work. And set it up as best I can. I will be printing 2000 - 3000 pages a week initially. I got quite a few "supplies" with the purchase. So I am trying to get by for a couple of months before putting it on a service contract because of lack of money.

Thank you so much for any consideration
    Last edited by paulb; 04-03-2016 at 09:37 PM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Several Questions About MX 5001n

Calibration is in sim mode, but there is a procedure to be followed. Also to do it properly you need a sit chart (not cheap) and a calibration jig.

When your asking about fiery your obviously looking for optimum image quality, this will be very hard to achieve by yourself.

You'd either be better of getting someone to look at it for you or starting off using whatever image quality you have.

Legendary Frost Spec Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Several Questions About MX 5001n

Quote Originally Posted by sharphead View Post
    Calibration is in sim mode, but there is a procedure to be followed. Also to do it properly you need a sit chart (not cheap) and a calibration jig.

When your asking about fiery your obviously looking for optimum image quality, this will be very hard to achieve by yourself.

You'd either be better of getting someone to look at it for you or starting off using whatever image quality you have.
    Don't forget there's a user level colour calibration in the system settings... Not quite the same as the tech level but for the issue he described it should be good enough.
    Cthulhu for president! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Akitu View Post
    Don't forget there's a user level colour calibration in the system settings... Not quite the same as the tech level but for the issue he described it should be good enough.
    i did a user level calibration and had a sharp tech come out and replace developer and charger for cyan and black. Much better about 80% fixed. I think now the remaining issue relates to drivers...I hope.

I have gone to Sharp's website and looked for software that is installed on the machine at install.
    Questions:
    Can i order/buy/download the correct cds/software for this machine as the original 2 cd are lost? For example I have the paperwork/serial number/license for one copy of sharpdesk.

I believe the remaining problem with print quality relate to getting the right drivers installed.

Service Manager 250+ Posts SwisSeV's Avatar

You shouldn't need the discs for anything. You will need the serial number.

You can get all the software (drivers and sharpdesk) on the sharp website.

For sharpdesk go to...
    Sharp Global
    -Products tab
    -Digital MFP/Printers
    -Downloads (top right)
    -Software
    -Fill out the info and DL the software

For the Driver go to...
    Sharp Global
    -Support tab
    -Download
    -Pick your region
    -Jump kick the accept button
    -Pick out your machine and OS specs
    Last edited by SwisSeV; 04-07-2016 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwisSeV View Post
    You shouldn't need the discs for anything. You will need the serial number.

You can get all the software (drivers and sharpdesk) on the sharp website.

For sharpdesk go to...
    Sharp Global
    -Products tab
    -Digital MFP/Printers
    -Downloads (top right)
    -Software
    -Fill out the info and DL the software

For the Driver go to...
    Sharp Global
    -Support tab
    -Download
    -Pick your region
    -Jump kick the accept button
    -Pick out your machine and OS specs
    Thank you so much for the info i will do it later tonight. I truly appreciate it. The people on this forum are very helpful. Have a great day