Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Mx-m354N throwing developer + error F2-40 + jamming

Thumbs up Mx-m354N throwing developer + error F2-40 + jamming

Went on call today on MX-M354N. Customer had said machine had error F2-40. I had F2-40 errors on other Sharps and many times it was toner cartridge or chip. When I got there I also machine was throwing developer . There was a decent amount near registration area after remove transfer unit drawer. Machine would go into f2-40 code and copying 1 sheet at a time the paper would jam partially into fuser or below.

Customer said the developer had been changed twice in the last months. Person servicing machine had customer order new fuser and new developer unit and developer from Precision Roller using his account. Weird.

It does't look like drum has been changed and I thought i should start there and main charger and also change developer and (calibrate?). I will have to check manual. I blew out registration sensor but might have to take apart in case developer is there and causing the jamming.

Please advise me on what your recommendation is, include machine replacement, if you think this is a troublesome model and is prone to this and other issues. This is my first cll on this model though I sold an MX-M264N to a customer couple of years ago and have not had any problems It appears to be very similar and mot parts seem interchangeable.

Your help is always so important and I am very grateful for it. Frank/ActionPhotocopy

Senior Tech 250+ Posts vincent64's Avatar

Re: Mx-m354N throwing developer + error F2-40 + jamming

I had to google the model number, it looks like a up grade from the old AR-235/275 series from when I used to work on them, check the TCS in the dev unit, they tended to get a bit of toner build up on the little nub that sticks up in the hole in the dev unit, when changing developer, I used to take it out, wipe it off and reinstall it, stopped many a error codes when running TC 25-2
    Also make sure the main charge is clean, and trying to push the drum life to far will pull dev also.

Thanks Vincent. Last service guy changed dv unit, dv,fuser unit but not drum or main charger. Frank

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I have a MXM354N in my care and if it was me I'd replace the DV and process units at the lease and clean out the developer you can see. Then you shouldn't have any problems other than the fuser lower guide likes to break on this machine.

There id a Tech Tip on Sharps site for the F2-40 it is for the 453 series does work. I had tried everything the manual states and thus TT was the only thing that worked. If you go into 25-1 and execute note the final level. Then go into 7-1 developer disable. Exit service mode. Run 25 sky shots with a little bit of white margin as to not cause jams. Enter service mode afterwards execute 25-1 and that level will have increased. Repeat if necessary. I responded to dev spill on another one of your threads. Still getting the hang of this. Not sure if this post is old.

today changed developer,drum,blade and toner. dev. calibration 25-2 went well. however, got continuous jamming just out of tray. had removed bypass and guide above sensors and cleaned out developer spillage.

the process unit was delivered aftr i had already left for customer office as customer was anxious and closing early today. iwant to change process unit as i saw a small amount of developer on top of guide and want to be certain. i will try to go with pickup,feed and separation plate unit for each of the 2 trays. jamming from both in same way. frank

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

There is a bulletin about dev leaking on this series. On a couple of our machines, we had to replace dev unit (under warranty) because of worn rear mag bearing causing F2-40.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thumbs up Re: Mx-m354N throwing developer + error F2-40 + jamming

Change pickup and feed roller and sep unit and upper tray was working but lowered went into jam mode almost right away which makes me think sensor issue. Then all of a sudden upper not feeding. Makes sound of 3 revolutions and goes into misfeed with no jam as not feeding. I gave up for today as much time has been spent on this machine with not enough good results. No more f2-40s or throwing developer but the jamming has me going. I did not see simulation for sensor jams as I recall on older machines simulation 3 or 30. I wonder if upper feed pickup somehow is not secured properly. I thought I was careful

I hate the design where you have to remove the guide plate under the dv AND DRUM UNIT WITH THE 3 SCREWS TO ACCESS UPPER FEED. I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY CONTIUED WITH THAT PAIN IN THE ASS SETUP. ANY ADVICE IS APPPRECIATED. FRANK / ACTION PHOTOCOPY

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Maybe unrelated to your situation but a couple years ago we had a brand new mx-m354n jamming in duplex mode. We could not figure out why so we exchanged the copier. During our shop tests, we did 1000 duplex and no jams. A couple weeks later, customer calls back for some more jams. Turned out the copier was on an uneven wood floor, and even if level, we had to set same pressure on all 4 legs or it would jam. (I'm not heavy but could feel the floor deflect when standing in front of the copier so we added some plywood as support)...

Check feed clutches.

With the developer leak you had it probably migrated into the clutches.