Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Pilgrim
    The scanner only moves during simulations 1-3 and 1-4, it does not move when I try to make a copy.

During simulations 1-3 and 1-4 the scanner assembly moves back and forth smoothly, through it's full travel, without any undue resistance. Likewise simulations 1-2, 5-3, 5-1, 5-2, 5-4, 5-5 and 6-2 all complete satisfactorily.

When I run simulation 1-2 with the scanner assembly in the home position both the OPC drum lamp and the Toner Empty lamp come on.

When I manually move the scanner assembly away from it's home position and then run simulation 1-2 the OPC Drum lamp stays on and the Toner Empty lamp goes out.

Thanks for responding you-all.

I am actually starting to think that I might get this going.

Regards,

Pilgrim

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    SF-2214 (I got it for free)

I don't know that I agree with the use of KY or any kind of grease as a scanner lubricant. Regardless you should get some movement.

There are really only three possibilities at this point:

1) Bad scanner motor. You've pretty much ruled this one out. Pulse motors generally work or don't, rarely intermittent. So that leaves the next two:

2) Intermittent home position switch. The simulation is useful, but not definitive. To test the photointerrupter you'll need a volt ohm meter. There are three terminals. Ground=0vdc, Hot=~4.96vdc, Output=~1.1vdc to ~4.96 depending on the state (blocked or unblocked). The threshold is ~3.8vdc for the controller to identify change of state. The actual output value is not that critical as long as it passes the threshold. Often a little grease can get packed in the slit, diffusing the light. If your sensor is just barely reaching the threshold it may help to remove it and marinate it in a little alcohol, then again with the small brush.

3) The most likely scenario, and the least likely to be fixable is this last choice. The scanner motor usually has three segments/circuits. Each circuit in sequence gets a pulse to energize it and rotate the motor 1/3 of a rotation. In this way the speed of the motor can be easily controlled by by the spacing and timing of the pulses (A, B, C, A, B, C, A, B, C, .....). When the driver circuitry starts to fail the timing and sequence of pulses become confused (A, A, C, C, B, A, B, A, B, B, ....) so the motor just vibrates, and doesn't rotate in a coherent way. The test for this situation is to remove the rear cover and identify the scanner motor. Run one of the simulations that move the scanner so you can feel the vibration of the motor, and know what it feels like operating normally. Next try running a copy. Does the motor vibrate but not rotate? Bad DC controller PWB. Does the motor lack vibration when it should be moving? Bad home position sensor (you know how to check that now), or bad DC controller.

About the only way you'll get parts for this machine is to get another freebee for parts. I may have a home position sensor. If you can take a digital picture of it, and note the markings I can check my graveyard.

Having fun? I think that's how all of us got started doing this. It's gratifying to figure out how something is supposed to work, then fix it.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Technician 250+ Posts
    Something to try.
    Unplug the machine from the wall and then completely disconnect the feeder from the body of the machine. (unplug the feeder)
    Next, plug the machine back into the wall and turn it on.
    Place an original down on the glass and make a copy.
    What does the machine do now? Please reply.

Pilgrim

This is starting to get personal.

Hello again folks,

DRUM ROLL PLEASE… (Applause) Thank You, Thank You, (bowing), Thank You, Thank You (Bowing Again).

WE MADE A COPY!

The ink is all messed up, but one step at a time… that’s for later.

It was pure luck that I got this thing to copy. Not that all your comments weren’t cogent and succinct, but there was a gremlin in the works, obfuscating the reality of the situation.

In the center of the left side, just above the fan grill, there is a screw hole. During the glass removal process (thank you blackcat4866) I would have removed any screw (if there was one, not really sure about that) from that hole (it may not have been necessary to remove, but I would have done so anyway due to my inadequate knowledge.)

Well, after my lame attempt to "disconnecting the feeder" (thank you mtech) I did not reinstall that screw when. Low and behold I could make a copy. I tested this and sure enough… screw in, no copy… screw out, yes copy.

(Applause) Thank You, Thank You (bowing) Thank You, Thank You (bowing again).

So now I can make a copies. It jams once in a while and the ink is all screwed up but, none the less…

WE CAN MAKE COPIES!

The manual feeder on the right side works great. Now my problem is the SPF unit. The SPF indicator light comes on when I insert a piece of paper into the feeder, but when I attempt to make a copy the SPF misfeed indicator light comes on and I get a (-)1 in the display. I took the cover of the SPF unit and cleaned the four sensors I found there but to no avail, I still get the SPF misfeed indicator light when attempting to make a copy.

Simulations 2-4 and 2-5 respond correctly (or as far as I can tell with my ear close up).

Simulation 2-1 gets a toner empty lamp on, but that is it, no other indicator lights come on.

Simulation 2-3 gets absolutely nothing at all… no movement, no lights… nada!

Additionally… During a copy attempt the white gear assembly (cam, magnetic actuator, thingy, whatever???) closest to the motor rotates approximately ¼ turn, but nothing else happens.

I used my new (used from eBay) Fluke series 3 model 23 millimeter, in an attempt to register a reading at the connector on the circuit board where the fan connects, (possibly lame move). I did not get any voltage readings when I attempted to make a copy.

Just like before, the little red maintenance dude is always on.

Mtech:
    Thank you for responding, but due to my pea brain, I did not know how to "disconnect the feeder". That’s ok though as that issue has become moot. I would like to get some more info on your suggestion of replacing the "white" gear with a "brown" one. Or has this also become moot?

Chakiris:
    Thank you also for responding. The unit is jamming infrequently so this is no longer a problem. As you suggested I ran the simulation on the home position sensor and it checked out OK. I had already cleaned it per input from blackcat4866

Choicecopyguy:
    Thanks for the heads up about the paper clip. I put it back on so all is back to factory condition. BTW… is there any duct tape, spit and/or glue in this thing?

Deep:
    Thank you. Simulation 1-2 checked out OK and I am no longer receiving the L3 scanner error.

Blackcat4866:
    Like Dorothy told the Scarecrow… "I think I will miss you most of all".

Your multiple, extended responses have been really appreciated and invaluable. There is no pay for this, for any of you guys (girls too, if your there), so the fact you all are willing to take the time to respond to neophytes like myself is a selfless act that I am sure (not really) will one day be rewarded… Yea! And gas prices will come down also.

Forgive the "waxing eloquent.

Regards,
    Pilgrim

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    SF-2214 (I got it for free)

I think I can speak for all of us. Your Welcome.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 100+ Posts deep's Avatar
    Congratulation Pilgrim, it's a big step forward to your goal.
    Kenny

Pilgrim

SPF

Hello again,

Any suggestions on the SPF problem?

And can anyone tell me what the screw hole is for, on the left side center of the SF_2214. And why it messes with making a copy?

Regards,

Pilgrim
    Last edited by Pilgrim; 07-21-2008 at 02:32 AM.

Technician 250+ Posts
    The screw hole is there to add a screw to lock the optic assy. from moving and becoming damaged during shipping. Congrats on finding the biggest problem with your machine. I have never seen anyone actually use this lock, they just move the machine without it. The gear I was talking about is only an issue with registration and jamming problems in the machine. If you can't replace it you can always remove it and clean it with a rag and some rubbing alcohol. Scuff up the shaft and it should be alright for a while. (make sure you note which way the gear goes on the shaft before you remove it as it must go back the same way!) As for your doc feed problem, does it pull the paper in at all? If you look in where the original goes can you see the pick up roller drop down and turn? Let us know.

Pilgrim
    Hello mtech,

No the paper is not pulled in and the feed roller does not move.
    The only thing that happens is that the gear assembly closest to the moter rotates about a 1/4 turn and then stops... but nothing else moves.

Thanks for responding.

Regards,

Pilgrim

techmor
    Hi guys.

Pilgrim did you ever get it to work right. I recently got one for free also, began reading this forum, and was trying to get it to work again.

The copier would start to pump all the toner out, then say it needed more. I took it apart, found the toner sensor, and when I went to unplug it to clean it the whole 5 pin connector came out, including the female half.

I soldered it back together and now it won't pump any toner I think I might have ruined the sensor completely though as the toner motor doesn't seem to pump out anything anymore, but the rest of the copy process goes well, and every once in a while I can get it to print a bit mostly on the right side of the paper. So I believe it just needs the sensor and maybe some new toner.

Thanks

Any suggestions, or comments, any help at all would be appreciated.